Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not getting the vaccine?

Not getting the vaccine?

Just talked to a woman who said she was not getting the vaccine EVER. I asked why since the pandemic could continue if we did not reach herd immunity. Her response.... I will send you alternative websites to explain. Geez.... QAnon or what? I am not enthused about taking any vaccinations either but think a pandemic is the exception (as well as other one time or long term vaccinations). We will never get back to "normal" with this type of mentality!

AWK... put in wrong thread category... not sure how to move?

Moved to Health & Health Care. Let me know if you intended another forum.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Just talked to a woman who said she was not getting the vaccine EVER.
    I bet she's had the other pandemic/epidemic vaccines: smallpox, polio, mumps, measles, rubella.

And if she had children, I'm betting they got them all too.

We are screwed in this country since wishing Covid away is highly unlikely to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I bet she's had the other pandemic/epidemic vaccines: smallpox, polio, mumps, measles, rubella.
    She'll probably change her mind once the various vaccines achieve full FDA approval rather than the Emergency Use authorization they currently enjoy.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I saw a poll on CNN that asked Democrats, Independents and Republicans if they intended to get the vaccine, and half of Republicans are not intending to get the vaccine

Republicans remain the group most likely to say that they will not try to get a vaccine. Almost half of Republicans, 44%, feel that way, compared with 28% of independents and 8% of Democrats. Within Republicans, resistance to vaccines is concentrated among the young. Among Republicans and Republican-leaning independents ages 50 and older, 66% have gotten a vaccine or are willing to get one, but among those younger than 50, 57% say they will not get a vaccine.

I feel that if Trump Almighty hadn't minimized the pandemic, dismissed the science, and made the virus seem like a big hoax concocted by liberals, that number would have been a lot different. In fact, I think if we had had a different Republican president in 2016, that number would have been a lot different.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I saw a poll on CNN that asked Democrats, Independents and Republicans if they intended to get the vaccine, and half of Republicans are not intending to get the vaccine...

And then there was a poll that showed 29% of healthcare workers were not going to get the vaccine.

What’s the overlap between Republicans and healthcare workers? Are the Republicans not getting the vaccine because many are health workers? Are health workers not getting the vaccine because they are Republicans?
    I don’t know. But I do know one thing: it’s all Donald Trump‘s fault.
    Oh right it’s also Joe Rogan‘s fault. My boyfriend Joe (who does not identify as conservative) said a couple days ago when he was just riffing on his podcast, paraphrasing, that if you are a 21-year-old don’t get the vaccine.
    He was ripped to shreds pretty fast and walked that back, as he should. For the 21-year-olds it’s about providing heard immunity, they are doing a community service.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I saw a poll on CNN that asked Democrats, Independents and Republicans if they intended to get the vaccine, and half of Republicans are not intending to get the vaccine
    I know quite a few Republicans so you'd think nearly half of them would have refused the vaccine, but strangely enough none of them have. I do know a health care worker who refuses at this time because she doesn't think the FDA did their due diligence before authorizing emergency usage. I'm not sure of her political leanings but CNN pollsters would probably put her in the Republican camp, their audience loves that kind of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    And then there was a poll that showed 29% of healthcare workers were not going to get the vaccine.
    Many of those are in LTCs. I haven't been to any in the last few years but my experience is that 90% of staff is at the CNA level. Many shifts there were CNAs and only 1 RN or LPN per shift. The Director level is required to be an RN but that person rarely gives patient care.

The LTC sector is the worst for vaccination rates and I have no doubt they skew the data. I would love to find a survey of RNs, MDs, PTs, OTs to understand the rate among well educated professionals.

I've always kind of suspected that, Gardnr. I'd like to see that survey too.

My DH golf with a guy who says he's never gotten any flu vaccine, never gets the flu, not getting a COVID vaccine. That's his logic.

I'm frustrated that we aren't getting a lot of info saying where they think the spikes in cases are coming from. Over the river in Oregon (close by) they're going backwards, scaling back to previous restrictions. They're not saying where all the new cases are coming from, so we have to surmise. It would be helpful to know. I suspect kids going back to college. Closer quarters and not vaccinated yet. And many of them think they're doing their part to build herd immunity.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I've always kind of suspected that, Gardnr. I'd like to see that survey too.

Oregon......They're not saying where all the new cases are coming from, so we have to surmise. It would be helpful to know. I suspect kids going back to college. Closer quarters and not vaccinated yet. And many of them think they're doing their part to build herd immunity.
    The highest rates are in the rural counties just like Idaho adjacent to it. The rural folks I talk to think it's no big deal. They don't know hospitalized or dead people so it's just not real (anecdotal observation not published data).

https://groups.io/g/stashbusters/mes...0,2,0,79398652

Thread Information