Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Not getting the vaccine?

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I'm curious how this will work for children. So the 12 and ups can get it now, will the littler ones just get the vaccine as they turn 12, the way we do with polio or measles, something to which we have herd immunity, right? So my 6 year old granddaughter would get a Covid shot in 6 years? Or is it like smallpox, where if it is not in the population at that time, she won't?
    I don't have an answer to your questions, but it is the kids I worry about most. Summer break from school may help, but often times there is an increase in sports and socializing during the summer that makes contact almost the same as being in school for some of these kids.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Interesting article looking into the various why's of people who are vaccine hesitant, with details broken down by state.

In the United States overall...
    8% are Watchful. They’re waiting to see what happens next.
    9% are Cost-Anxious. They want the vaccine but can’t afford the time or cost.
    4% are System Distrusters. They feel the health care system doesn’t treat them fairly.
    14% are Covid Skeptics. They don’t believe the threat.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...hesitancy.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I'm curious how this will work for children. So the 12 and ups can get it now, will the littler ones just get the vaccine as they turn 12, the way we do with polio or measles, something to which we have herd immunity, right? So my 6 year old granddaughter would get a Covid shot in 6 years? Or is it like smallpox, where if it is not in the population at that time, she won't?
    Tybee, the clinical trials for age 6m to age 11 are underway. It is going slowly as they begin with the smallest dose they believe feasible. They will gradually increase the dose to achieve the desired efficacy rate. (Age 12-15 has been 100%%). Currently it sounds like stage 3 trials should be complete late December and the hope is that EUA will come in January 2022 for this group.

Meanwhile, we've had some 10yo siblings beg to get it anyway when they see older siblings getting the protection.

May all these children stay healthy meanwhile!!!!

I am scheduled for my second Pfizer shot tomorrow. I am hesitant for several reasons - 1) I have another unresolved health issue going on; 2) I have had ridiculous heart palpitations that started after #1; and 3) There is way too much conflicting info about efficacy of first shot - everything from 50% to 85%.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I am scheduled for my second Pfizer shot tomorrow. I am hesitant for several reasons - 1) I have another unresolved health issue going on; 2) I have had ridiculous heart palpitations that started after #1; and 3) There is way too much conflicting info about efficacy of first shot - everything from 50% to 85%.
    I rely solely on the CDC for MD analysis of the data. Here is their website report:

Adjusted vaccine effectiveness (VE) against COVID-19–associated hospitalization among adults aged ≥65 years was estimated to be 94% (95% confidence interval [CI] = 49%–99%) for full vaccination and 64% (95% CI = 28%–82%) for partial vaccination.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7018e1.htm

Our vaccination program has MDs and NPs for consultation. As a vaccinator, I educate that racing heart is one of the known and possible side effects. Having this does not cause warning against taking the 2nd vaccine. My further inquiry would be: When did this begin? How long did it last? Did you call your Dr or go to the ER? Did you receive any treatment for it? Do you know how fast your heart rate got? Do you have any underlying heart conditions? I would then contact our provider for counsel. Since your appt is tomorrow, I do advise, that you have a discussion with your primary care Dr before you get #2 if this continued more than a week.

Not knowing what your other underlying health issue is and whether the 2 can have a compounding effect, please do call your Dr.

I wish you good health and feeling safe!

4% are System Distrusters. They feel the health care system doesn’t treat them fairly.
    seems to me if we accept these cost anxious exist, it would have been the right thing to go to extra effort to try to reach them with vaccines before removing mask mandates. But in a world that is already hyper-partisan (that believes "only trump anti-vaxers have not been vaccinated") it just doesn't register as an issue even for those who had previously supported mask mandates. I mean the failure is on those in authority, but they won't be held to account.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Interesting article looking into the various why's of people who are vaccine hesitant, with details broken down by state.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...hesitancy.html
    There is no out-of-pocket cost so that's off the refusal grid. I do understand the time from work has a significant financial impact for many struggling to make ends meet. Our President is attempting to solve that but as usual, there is a significant population at the Congressional address that don't support this proposal

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Tybee, the clinical trials for age 6m to age 11 are underway. It is going slowly as they begin with the smallest dose they believe feasible. They will gradually increase the dose to achieve the desired efficacy rate. (Age 12-15 has been 100%%). Currently it sounds like stage 3 trials should be complete late December and the hope is that EUA will come in January 2022 for this group.

Meanwhile, we've had some 10yo siblings beg to get it anyway when they see older siblings getting the protection.

May all these children stay healthy meanwhile!!!!
    That would be wonderful, if they could get the vaccine by next January!!

There is no cost but that doesn't mean people might not believe there is a cost, because they are simply not informed, or because they are distrustful (because who hasn't had a surprise medical bill where something wasn't covered though they thought it would be). That is not the case with covid vaccination, it really is free, but you want people to trust an opaque medical billing system that so many have been burned by, yea there might be reluctance. And it doesn't help insurance information is asked, even though if you are uninsured you can still get the vaccine, it's easy to see why it is confusing. It's a matter of educating people.

You can mandate time off, but it strikes me perhaps not a better solution than having vaccine clinics with very extended hours. The thing is you can mandate sick time, but every employee with a precarious job is going to believe they might get in trouble for it, and unlike with vaccine costs which is a misunderstanding, they are probably right there. If they get fired for taking legal sick time, well it's at will employment, good luck with that.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information