Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not getting the vaccine?

I think it breaks down by AGE. Elderly people are more likely to get the vaccine regardless of politics. Well the risk is there as well of course, and often the sacrifice of staying home most for the pandemic year, so it makes a lot of sense. So if all the Republicans one knows are collecting social security, it's likely to skew the sample. Younger people may be less likely to vote Republican in general, but come on, there exist younger Republicans too.

Weather or not it has FDA approval seems a pretty silly hill to die on to me. FDA approval is no guarantee of safety either, and I am convinced the vaccines (esp Pfizer/Moderna) are safe in the short term from the data we already have.

Those not getting vaccinated mostly hurt themselves (and who can care?), except that there are those who can't take vaccines maybe that are hurt, and medical personnel still have to care for these people, but then they have probably seen a fair amount of nonsense in their life (you swallowed what? uh that's not edible ...).
    Trees don't grow on money

We have one fairly close friend who says he isn't ever going to get the vaccine. He is in his early sixties and is a very heavy drinker and smoker, so it isn't like he holds his body as a temple or anything. He does avoid any interaction with the medical establishment though, doesn't even go to the dentist, so I think that is where his "vaccine hesitancy" is coming from. If you could get a Covid vaccine in a bar, then he might go for it.
    The other people I know more as FB friends/acquaintances, and it seems to be politically based. They are vocal Trump supporters, although not terribly young, some in their fifties and a couple in their early sixties.

At some point I assume that health insurers will start charging more to non covid vaccinateds in the same way that a lot of people have to pay higher rates if they smoke or get lower rates if they go for an annual physical.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Moved to Health & Health Care. Let me know if you intended another forum.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    At some point I assume that health insurers will start charging more to non covid vaccinateds in the same way that a lot of people have to pay higher rates if they smoke or get lower rates if they go for an annual physical.
    I think there is still going to be the social ostracizing that is already starting to occur. The sad part is that those who don't get vaccinated run such a risk of getting COVID - such a hard way to learn.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I think there is still going to be the social ostracizing that is already starting to occur. The sad part is that those who don't get vaccinated run such a risk of getting COVID - such a hard way to learn.
    That is the sad part. Especially since the new strains seem terribly virulent.

We had a very sad 81 vaccines today at a site staffed for 900. And we are consistently having a 5% no-show rate of those who have scheduled an appt. We cancelled half our staff today. We kept more than really needed in case we had big walk-in volume. Nope. Only 5 unscheduled patients.

We are hoping that when school ends that we will have a big influx of these school kids the first 10days of June! Otherwise, our sites will all likely close up shop.

Our last two big sessions are targetted at the schoolkids, seems otherwise like everyone who wants vaccinated here has gotten vaccinated. Leaving us, well, still exposed. The "control" group - best of luck to them.

I'm curious how this will work for children. So the 12 and ups can get it now, will the littler ones just get the vaccine as they turn 12, the way we do with polio or measles, something to which we have herd immunity, right? So my 6 year old granddaughter would get a Covid shot in 6 years? Or is it like smallpox, where if it is not in the population at that time, she won't?

Yppej
    I wonder if there are people who hate masks so much that if they didn't have to wear one while being inoculated would get the vaccine.

Shots are being given at places like ballparks - which in my state at least will soon be mask optional. So grab your hot dog, and while your mouth is free chomping on that get your vaccine. It would be an only in America thing but it just might work for some of those who are hesitant. To reach these people thinking outside the box - or the mask - is required.

Now you might say no mask presents a risk to the person administering the shot, though presumably that person is vaccinated by now. However, putting a spit guard on Daniel Prude to protect officers was deemed wrong by many, so at some point I guess the rights of first responders/medical personnel to be in their comfort zone when it comes to germs becomes irrelevant.

Thread Information