Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Projects between now and Summer Solstice

Tybee - are you looking for another home in Maine? I would LOVE to live "up East"!

By Solstice:
    * have caterer menu set up and handout materials gathered for reunion we are "hosting" for our international family association
    * spend at least 30 hours on our upstairs shoving-crap-around project
    * find someone to fix the kitchen roof (this is difficult - it's a strange roofline that has been cut into/added onto etc and most roofers don't like old houses that aren't straight runs)
    * find someone/get quote for replacing a basement wall and tuckpointing part of the foundation

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    Tybee - are you looking for another home in Maine? I would LOVE to live "up East"!

By Solstice:
    * have caterer menu set up and handout materials gathered for reunion we are "hosting" for our international family association
    * spend at least 30 hours on our upstairs shoving-crap-around project
    * find someone to fix the kitchen roof (this is difficult - it's a strange roofline that has been cut into/added onto etc and most roofers don't like old houses that aren't straight runs)
    * find someone/get quote for replacing a basement wall and tuckpointing part of the foundation
    Good resolutions!
    Don't know yet where we will end up. Still have not figured that out yet.

Get bids for replacing the bathroom sink and toilet. I decided to leave the low bathtub for now as I have no issues stepping over it. My friend’s husband is a contractor so he will put a build a door frame and install a door on the outside of the bathroom. He is also building a custom house and a house for himself so not sure when he will squeeze me in.

Tybee, if you have to hire a realtor I hope you get enough to cover the fee. I have lost money on real estate and it sucks. Do you not like the house or the location?

Yes, it will suck if that happens. But we do not like the location and cannot handle the repairs needed to the property, financially or physically, at our age.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Yes, it will suck if that happens. But we do not like the location and cannot handle the repairs needed to the property, financially or physically, at our age.
    Tybee, I am really sorry this house isn't working for you. I hope you find the perfect place soon.

As far as project progress goes, I have:
    • Washed all 28 screens
    • Washed 5 windows
    • Washed curtains for 5 windows
    • Spent a couple of hours on yard cleanup

I am really sorry Tybee.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I am really sorry Tybee.
    Thanks, guys. It's like my dad used to say, sometimes you have to make a course adjustment. Trying not to freak out about it.

Different homes are part of what I have considered a refining process. Each home teaches one what is desirable and what is less so.
    I came up with a list when I bought my present home based on the past experiences in no particular order.

- entry walkway easy to create a ramp if needed
    - high ground after a home in a valley where rain flooded the street and the sump pump struggled in another home
    - 2-car garage with no outside shed to rust or lean over time
    - large entry way after saw my dad in a wheel chair
    - paved driveway after struggling with snow removal on gravel drive
    - new home on one floor to include ground floor laundry after laundry in basement
    - small and private yard to garden coming from a farm. I did not want to live in a wooden fence cubicle as so many surveys are
    - local builder after seeing the housing developments by out of town builders who disappear when finished leaving problems that never get fixed
    - simple layout with three bedrooms as most being built today are 1 1/2 BR,
    - 2 bathrooms on main floor
    - gas fireplace for early frosty mornings as DH used to start wood fire in our fireplace before I got up
    - no carpet or curtains - dirty, messy, dust traps especially with pets that shed
    - living room facing to my backyard to avoid feeling like living in a goldfish bowl
    - live in a diverse neighbourhood with families not a retirement community
    - walkable to basic amenities - up to 2 km or 15 min walk

Upon the advice of my realtor, I looked at different areas to decide on the neighbourhood. I then looked online to see what was available. Saw one new little house listed which had been on the market for a while but it felt right to take a look. When my realtor phoned to tour houses, I asked to see this little house first. I showed him my list, it met every single one so submitted a modest offer, negotiated a little and it was mine. I love it!

The refining process guided the decision of what was important to me based on all our previous dwellings. I needed all those previous experiences so never felt that we made a mistake but a discovery or learning event.

Tybee, you will find your right place.
    Last edited by razz; 5-4-21 at 10:57am.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    My project is more emotional than tangible...laying plans to form a woman's creativity support group -- excited!
    peaceful, easy feeling

Thread Information