Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Projects between now and Summer Solstice

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    yppej, You are making all the steps that you can control, so that's success.
    I agree, you did your part.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Wow, lots going on! I think you need to bring us up to speed on the new house purchase!
    Well, I posted a couple months ago about how crazy the local real estate market is here - sellers were (are getting) way over asking price, etc. I decided to go ahead and list the house. We listed it for about $30K over what I would've hoped to get a year ago. We listed it on Monday April 12. we had 5 showing that evening; 5 more Tuesday and 5 Wednesday. We cut it off and posted that we'd look at offers Thursday evening. We got 3 good ones; 1 was $10K over asking; 1 was $14K over and one was $24.5K over, contingent upon splitting the price of a (much-needed) new roof. We went with number 3. That Tuesday evening while we had to be out of the house for showings, we looked at a duplex on the other side of town. It's a 3 bd, 3 ba, laundry on main floor. Two of the bedrooms and 2 of the bathrooms are on the main floor, too. There's a bedroom, bathroom and a loft upstairs. It's a bit smaller than what we have now, but that's fine.

The next morning, I told my Realtor to put an offer on it for full asking price, contingent upon the sale of our house and inspections - thinking we'll see what sticks. I was surprised that the seller accepted it! So, we're down in the weeds, getting stuff organized, utilities changed over, etc. Our Sellers asked us to pay for some repairs on the chimneys which we can agree to do.

I've really been practicing "letting go and letting God" through this entire process. Seems to be working, ha.

I really need to be studying for my exam!!
    Last edited by beckyliz; 5-6-21 at 1:13pm.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Yppej
    "Contingent upon [t]he sale of our house and inspections"

I always wondered how I could get a different house without selling mine first. Do you still put down a deposit on the new house? Is it 20%, or something less?

Ypejji, people may accept if yours is on the market or going on in a few days. Then you just put the acceptable deposit for your area. I put down 2k which was 1% of sale price.

The HOA painters are finishing up painting the outside of our building. Once they are done I plan to have a couple of insulation contractors come and advise how hard/expensive it would be to have insulation put in in our attic. What's up there now is a mess. And with summer coming it will be annoying to live with. Hopefully we can have that done by summer solstice or at least by July 4th.

Yppej
    DS told me he plans to get the furnace cleaned next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    DS told me he plans to get the furnace cleaned next week.
    I need to add that one to my list for both my house and my mother's house. I also think some radiator valves might need to be replaced in both houses.

My son said he can replace the toilet and sink in the bathroom so that will be cheap. On Nextdoor a few people hired companies to take out the bathtub and put in a step in shower piece and it cost 5k even though the piece is only 300 at Home Depot. I have to have someone licensed and insured being in a condo. The bathtub is very low so I have totally abandoned that idea. My mom was still stepping over at 89 and dying of cancer so I will worry about that if I ever get so it’s a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    "Contingent upon [t]he sale of our house and inspections"

I always wondered how I could get a different house without selling mine first. Do you still put down a deposit on the new house? Is it 20%, or something less?
    I put down $1000 earnest money with my offer; the buyers of our house put down $2000. If you can pay 20% or more cash down payment, your lender probably won't require PMI (private mortgage insurance).
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I have thought about starting a discussion group using the Conversation Cafe model. I had a monthly coffee group until covid but found it was mostly a simple easy chat group of women about 3-5. While I enjoyed seeing them I was hoping for more indepth discussion so curious about how to approach doing so.
    http://www.conversationcafe.org/
    http://www.conversationcafe.org/the-...osting-manual/
    That's interesting -- and I agree, it can be hard to get folks to discuss "meaty" and substantial topics...day-to-day stuff, family stuff, medical stuff--lots of that...but!

I started asking each woman to put an idea for a fun or serious conversation into a bowl and we'd pull one or two to get the ball rolling...it was fun! Sometimes risque..and sometimes very serious...loved it all! We solved all the world's problems -- but they never stayed solved...

I wish I'd been a part at the Alqonquin Round Table with Dorothy Parker-- I guess the quips really flew at those gatherings..
    peaceful, easy feeling

Thread Information