Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: May Frugals

Lilacs are amazing for their growth.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Jeppy: We always take our summer vacation in September. Places are always less crowded, kids are back in school, and the weather is still good. High summer is probably better if you like to be in the thick of the action, but we most certainly do not.
    Tybee: I love lilacs and a lilac hedge sounds delightful!
    Frugals for me:
    We ended up cancelling the weekend in Portland. It just doesn't feel right to go away while Raymond is still so new to the household. I feel more OK about it than I would have expected since we did have that nice weekend in the Berkshires recently.
    I gave myself a manicure and pedicure the day before yesterday. I've always done this for myself, more because I would begrudge the time to go and sit somewhere to have it done. Instead I can just easily do it myself and read a book or something in the comfort of my home while I'm waiting for polish to dry. I realize that salon nail treatments might be someone else's idea of a well-deserved indulgence, and if so fine; it just doesn't do it for me.
    I'll most likely be cutting DH's hair today.

Free food at work. We have resumed counter days (outdoors) and didn't serve food to the customers but the vendor bought the employees lunch and the boss brought in pastries for breakfast. Not the healthiest food but it is frugal.

Washed the car in the driveway rather than at the carwash. We were going to go out for ice cream and a car wash but it would have been 15 dollars around here. Prices are insane here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Washed the car in the driveway rather than at the carwash. We were going to go out for ice cream and a car wash but it would have been 15 dollars around here. Prices are insane here.
    Not sure if this info will help thinking about pricing but a car wash in my neck of the woods starts at $10-15; ice cream cone - $4.75 each. In winter I have the car washed but wash at home the rest of the time and buy a whole carton of my favourite ice cream very occasionally for $5.

How much would these two cost elsewhere? Just curious.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

That's very helpful info, Razz. I used to do the self serve car wash in Michigan that was about 3-4 dollars depending on how long it took. I don't use the drive throughs but my husband does, and they started there at about 6 dollars. I think here it is more like 8-10?

We had a small icecream, one scoop, and a medium last week in Naples and it was 8.10. It was the same at the Dairy Queen in New Hampshire, which shocked me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    That's very helpful info, Razz. I used to do the self serve car wash in Michigan that was about 3-4 dollars depending on how long it took. I don't use the drive throughs but my husband does, and they started there at about 6 dollars. I think here it is more like 8-10?

We had a small icecream, one scoop, and a medium last week in Naples and it was 8.10. It was the same at the Dairy Queen in New Hampshire, which shocked me.
    Prices are going up because it is so hard to find help, leading to wage inflation. Some people would rather collect their extra unemployment than work, especially if it is a seasonal job like Dairy Queen and not permanent employment. My state is now offering a $1200 bonus to people who go back to work. Other states are putting back in place the requirement to actively seek work in order to collect.

We like to buy ice cream in Naples and sit and look at the water. It's our cheap date. I guess we could bring ice cream from the store in a thermal bag, and scoop it up in the car and go sit on the benches. Hmm.

I believe DH pays $15 when he goes to the car wash, but he mostly DIYs it in the driveway when weather permits.
    I don't know if you would call this frugal or crazy or disgusting or what, but I never wash my car. I just don't car if it's dirty. I will wash bird splats off with a paper towel and glass cleaner, but that's it. DH does wash it occasionally.

The car wash most go to in my area is $3. You can buy add-ons like undercarriage or waxing. You have to use the vacuums yourself and lots of time they are weak and have no suction, but I guess the price is right because there is often a line.

Thread Information