Thread: Garden plans with BHG

Garden plans with BHG

I was searching for the care of turtlehead blooms which are a long-lasting fall bloomer. I need to pinch them to make them bushier, In the search I found the link https://www.bhg.com/gardening/plans/...t-garden-plan/ for Better Homes and Gardens garden plans that you can download.
    I love looking at plans for different conditions to see what is possible.
    Would love to know about other sites as well. Sort of like looking at seed catalogues in January each year.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I love the inspiration of garden plans already laid out. Guaranteed success!

There's also a plant retailer that has an array of "kits" that you can buy with a planting plan. Usually they are set up as a)border layout or island layout. I think it may be Proven Winners? Another great idea.

My personal gardening style is haphazard. I buy something pretty, bung it in the ground and hope it lives! It's a definite learning experience for me.

White Flower Farm and Bluestone Perennials both have suggested plant layouts for different situations.

My personal gardening style is haphazard. I buy something pretty, bung it in the ground and hope it lives! It's a definite learning experience for me.
    I tend to do this too. I aim for low/no maintenance naturalized informal plantings, which is not as easy to achieve as one would think. Especially as I have a very miniscule budget for landscaping! My favorite area is going to have to change a bit, as the tree in the center, a lovely old dwarf apricot- is near death. I've encouraged the nearby asian honeysuckle (a scourge, but I keep many plants of it, since it's here already, and quite useful!) to move over to offer more shade to part of the area, and am trying to decide the best option that's the least work to protect the rest of the bed from more direct sunlight. Sun is my enemy, lol. If only I could grow veggies in the shade. . .

My ornamental gardens are definitely of the “granny’s cottage garden” aesthetic. My city Victorian house would’ve benefited from a strong professional hand in its design, but it never got it and that’s OK because I’m happy with my garden.

But I will say that my Hermann garden is well-suited to that “granny” aesthetic because the house is cottage-like and the flower garden spills out in front and to its side.

The climate here is SO challenging that any garden plans have to be very region specific. Right now, all the crabapple trees and lilacs are blooming but the freeze tonight will do its usual business. We are advised not to plant anything at all until after mid-May and then be ready with protection. And then comes the hail. Ugh!

Pinky toe, I've got the opposite issue. I came home today to find four salvia and a hibiscus just wilting. They'd had a very good watering in Saturday, and my routine has been twice weekly with the water. I thought I was selecting more drought tolerant plants. Sadly, no.... The heat is unrelenting and its begun early in the season.

I have been watering flowers and early crops for several weeks now. SO unnatural and unusual for April-May here. We are wa-a-a-a-ay behind in rainfall. April was record-breaking for lack of rain. I don't usually have to hand water until July, because Mother Nature handles it for me. An article in the paper this morning calls the dry West "the new normal."
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information