Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June Non-Frugals

June Non-Frugals

Okay, so I started this thread because I was NOT frugal today, but feel that the purchases I made are "defendable".

Purchase #1 - I bought a new 11.5 inch cast iron frying pan. I have a very large cast iron wok and several different sized cast iron pans. This purchase was made in the hopes of replacing both the large wok AND the regular 10 inch fry pan. Since I only paid $8 for the new pan, and I plan to sell the other two on FB Marketplace, I believe I will make a profit of about $40.

Purchase #2 - I'm switching over to bar dish soap and bought a $5 round, bamboo brush to use with the bar soap. Since I won't be buying dish soap in plastic bottles any more, I'm thinking this is a good investment.

Purchase #3 - a standing toilet paper holder. Right now we have a stainless steel holder that *hooks* onto the toilet tank and rattles every time someone uses it. LOL. I'm just simply tired of hearing it, plus it is starting to rust on the part that hooks onto the tank. So, the standing holder that can be relocated easily if necessary and no new holes in the walls.

Purchases #4 and 5 - I have been having pain in my feet for a couple years now. A couple of months ago, I finely went to a podiatrist. I have a neuroma in each foot, and for the last 2-3 months I have been getting shots in my feet every couple of weeks (hopefully almost done!). He also told me I should be wearing "wide" shoes in my size. So, with the job I currently have, I went and bought two new pairs of shoes in size wide that BETTER do well for work!!! LOL.

Sigh... I hate shopping and I hate spending so much money, so this is my justification to myself.

Thanks for listening. lol
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

You absolutely have to take care of your feet; that's way frugal in the long run, so you can still walk! Good use of your resources, and good for you for getting it checked out.

I am curious about the bar dish soap. Anything that makes life easier is definitely worth it. Shoes are non-negotiable for well-being. Hope the new shoes make life easier and more comfortable. You are worth it!!!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

My friend gave me, as a late birthday present, one of her mom’s cast iron frying pans.

sadly she cannot use it because she has one of those stupid glass cooktops.

And this frying pan is the real deal
    , Wagner, and already sealed. score.

Happystuff I do hope hose shoes help your foot pain. You need high end shoes for your job.and do. Ot neglext swapping them out for new ones when required. What is that, every six months?

Happy: None of those expenditures strike me as being non-frugal. They all sound like practical, well-considered purchases.

I'm going to Dallas for 2 weeks. Visiting with 4 friends and day 12 is my youngest niece's wedding. I've rented a nice car and will stay in nice hotels. I'm not giving a single thought to expense. I don't care. It doesn't matter.

If ever there is a reason to save $ all your life to fund a low-stress retirement, this is a great example of why. Carefree travel to enjoy to the fullest. I'm super excited!

Thanks, everyone. I was having a touch of "buyer's remorse" - not so much for the purchases, but the expenditure amount - LOL.

Yes, the shoes will definitely be worth it! The ones I have been using did a good job, but are now well-worn.

razz - the dish bar soap was gifted to me and I'm finally using it. No wrapper, so I'm not sure of the brand, but I've been looking online and there are a bunch. One source said that soap was soap, just watch out for the level of *harshness*. Of the things I've learned about using it so far - keep it in/on something that will allow the bar to drain and not sit in that inevitable little puddle of water/soap sludge that develops with use. I take the brush across the top and just start washing the dishes. I also have an all nature sponge for cups and smaller dishes. Think of it like the old shaving cups and brushes - LOL. Since going towards the homemade laundry soap (again, no plastic bottles), I figured the bar dish soap is a good move. So far, family is okay with it.

Wagner is a great brand, IL. You are right - score! My new one is unbranded but, hey, for $8 I can live with that and season it on my own. lol

Gardnr - have a great trip! And congrats to your niece!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post

Yes, the shoes will definitely be worth it! The ones I have been using did a good job, but are now well-worn.

Gardnr - have a great trip! And congrats to your niece!
    Money spent on good shoes for the hard work our feet do is NEVER a waste! No matter our financial bind, I always bought good support for the feet that supported me through my Nursing career, miles of walking/hiking as well as Birkenstocks for strolling. I saw too many horrid feet in Surgery-cheap shoes are costly and we cannot make a foot "like new" whereas my knee is perfect!

Thank you. My niece is super excited and her fiance' is a gem. Great values, a gentleman, a family man. I think they are both very lucky to have found each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Money spent on good shoes for the hard work our feet do is NEVER a waste! No matter our financial bind, I always bought good support for the feet that supported me through my Nursing career, miles of walking/hiking as well as Birkenstocks for strolling. I saw too many horrid feet in Surgery-cheap shoes are costly and we cannot make a foot "like new" whereas my knee is perfect!

Thank you. My niece is super excited and her fiance' is a gem. Great values, a gentleman, a family man. I think they are both very lucky to have found each other.
    So may I pick your brain and benefit from your personal experience - what brands of shoes do you use/recommend?

That is so nice about her fiance and so happy you are able to go share their special day.

Thread Information