Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting how things change

Interesting how things change

Some years back the republicans felt that a president should be impeached and removed from office for lying. Now, that same party has punished one of their elected representatives in Congress for telling the truth. I wonder what the future is of a political party that punishes honesty?

Electoral success, if history is any guide.

I was sad to see Cheney go. She’s in some ways one of the last links to the Reagan era. Back when “conservative” and “Republican” were more or less interchangeable terms.

Not that I approve of either party’s malarkey, but I think Stefanik was an especially bad choice to replace her with.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Electoral success, if history is any guide.
    I suppose anything's possible, but it baffles me that the republican party has decided to hitch their wagons to the loser that lost them the house, the presidency and the senate in the span of 25 months. Sticking with a loser like that is certainly not standard political behavior but maybe they're playing some sort of 8 dimensional chess that I'm not understanding. But giving away their last shreds of dignity and honor to make the Big Lie a key part of their platform seems an awfully high price to pay.

it is ironic and illogical to me that Cheney, a true conservative who voted with Trump about 93% of the time, was voted out for telling the truth, only to be replaced by a not-very-conservative Republican, Stefanik, who only voted with Trump about 73% of the time. The phrase "cutting off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Some years back the republicans felt that a president should be impeached and removed from office for lying. Now, that same party has punished one of their elected representatives in Congress for telling the truth. I wonder what the future is of a political party that punishes honesty?
    I feel that their failure to oust Chester the Molester but kick someone out for disagreeing with them says an awful lot.

Quote Originally Posted by befree View Post
    it is ironic and illogical to me that Cheney, a true conservative who voted with Trump about 93% of the time, was voted out for telling the truth, only to be replaced by a not-very-conservative Republican, Stefanik, who only voted with Trump about 73% of the time. The phrase "cutting off your nose to spite your face" comes to mind.
    Wow, what an interesting turn of events, and yes, very ironic.

They know that a large portion of their base support Trump so they will do/say anything to regain their power. Every time I see Trump's smirking face, I think of the man behind the curtain in The Wizard of Oz.

It’s a conundrum for me. I can’t say I have much love for the Trump cult, but I’d also hate to see the left given a clear field for all the terrible changes they want to make to the country. Especially in light of the fact that their majorities are so thin there’s a good chance they could collapse at the next stiff breeze.

It’s a hard choice for me between hoping for a purge within the GOP and wanting a more unified opposition to the people who want to gain the centralized power to coerce a “fundamental transformation”.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It’s a conundrum for me. I can’t say I have much love for the Trump cult, but I’d also hate to see the left given a clear field for all the terrible changes they want to make to the country. Especially in light of the fact that their majorities are so thin there’s a good chance they could collapse at the next stiff breeze.

It’s a hard choice for me between hoping for a purge within the GOP and wanting a more unified opposition to the people who want to gain the centralized power to coerce a “fundamental transformation”.
    Maybe it's worth the growing pains to transform. I'm not Republican, but I respect many of the old mainline Republicans. Maybe the party is a "push-down" at this point, and needs to carve out the sensible ones and let the others, like the old Tea Party (who?) fend for themselves.

I am not optimistic, though, about the future of being able to work together, as social media has made caricatures of us all. I read an interesting piece in the NYT today about how almost 600 former Jeopardy winners attacked one of the recent winners because of a hand sign that they misinterpreted to be a white supremacist code signal.

The extremism on both sides fueled by social media is as ridiculous as it is alarming.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Maybe it's worth the growing pains to transform. I'm not Republican, but I respect many of the old mainline Republicans. Maybe the party is a "push-down" at this point, and needs to carve out the sensible ones and let the others, like the old Tea Party (who?) fend for themselves.

I am not optimistic, though, about the future of being able to work together, as social media has made caricatures of us all. I read an interesting piece in the NYT today about how almost 600 former Jeopardy winners attacked one of the recent winners because of a hand sign that they misinterpreted to be a white supremacist code signal.

The extremism on both sides fueled by social media is as ridiculous as it is alarming.
    I think that’s absolutely true. The internet allows people to let their nastier impulses out to play without exerting any real effort or take any real risk. And social media also facilitates the sort of snitch culture required to provide whatever real or imaginary transgressions are needed to fuel the outrage industry.

It’s easy to assemble a lynch mob if all they need to do is tap a phone.

Thread Information