Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting how things change

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    It’s a conundrum for me. I can’t say I have much love for the Trump cult, but I’d also hate to see the left given a clear field for all the terrible changes they want to make to the country.
    I'd hate to see the US turned into a shithole country like Norway, with all that stupid healthcare and happiness stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'd hate to see the US turned into a shithole country like Norway, with all that stupid healthcare and happiness stuff.
    I'm afraid our current progressive leadership wouldn't be satisfied with that, I think the goal is Venezuela or bust!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I don’t think the legislation they’re talking about is aimed at creating the magical kingdom of Norway in these United States. I’m not aware that they were intending to institute a VAT or flatten individual tax rates.

My quarrel is with some of the stuff crammed into the PRO Act or the “For the People” Act. Funding “action civics” to create our own little Red Guard. Brushing back the Constitution to finally reverse Citizens United. Forcing organizations to cough up their donors lists (like a previous generation of Democrats tried doing back in the fifties to intimidate the NAACP). The de facto federalization of US elections. Eliminating right to work laws. And if that works out, they can move on to creating a new green economy designed by lawyers and political consultants.

And if that works out, they can move on to creating a new green economy designed by lawyers and political consultants.
    Every 10 years my County reviews its charter. An elected group of citizens spend a year or so discussing/debating, then propose changes that the voters must approve.

They are just finishing up the work for this revision, and it'll come before the voters later in the year likely. The big-ticket change...wait for it...

Well, our County has a 3-person County Council, that is the legislative and executive body that runs the County. The County is "committed to being a leader in the climate change issue", but, apparently the current Council has been too hampered by law, procedure, and requirements for debate and public input to make as much progress on the issue as our more aggressive climate-change folks would like. (Even though, as a remote rural community, with very little industry, our climate impact is, well, not especially huge...)

They hijacked the current charter review process, and the Big Ticket Item they wish to roll out is: a single elected Climate Change Commissioner, who will report to nobody, and will also have the power to create legislation, and...override or change legislation passed by the County Council. They seem to be angling to give their new Climate Change Commissioner overall budget authority for the County too.

Fun times.

There seems to be a not uncommon sentiment out there that if something is important enough it should be put in the hands of a dictator.

There seems to be a not uncommon sentiment out there that if something is important enough it should be put in the hands of a dictator.
    Indeed. A few months ago one of our major political parties felt that the presidency was one of those important things.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Indeed. A few months ago one of our major political parties felt that the presidency was one of those important things.
    We certainly seem to be in a “chose your poison” era where civil liberties are concerned. Maybe the best we can do is opt for choices that do the least long term damage

Thread Information