Thread: Need a new email address for security so which provider?

Need a new email address for security so which provider?

I would like to have a new email address for use when banking, ordering etc. I did a search to see which provider offers which options.
    I will keep my gmail for everyday routine stuff. In my research I discovered that Hotmail was converted to Outlook but what else should I be looking at. All my passwords are stored in a Password manager.
    I wondered how confusing it would be to have more than my gmail and the Mac live accounts. I have been advised that the Mac live is not as secure as gmail.

Last night, I entered my password manager, accessed my banking, paid two bills and logged off. Twenty minutes later I received an email advising me that my bank account was locked due to too many attempts to access. In speaking to the bank rep, she said that she could see the two bill payments and the log-off. Shortly afterwards, a number of attempts to access my bank account were stopped when unable to provide the correct answer to the security questions with the lock on my account. I didn't try to access my account so someone else is. Everything seemed secure according to the bank rep. I am trying to sort out the solution once the computer tech 'cleans' my Macbook.

Any advice re different email provider and any additional info would be appreciated.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Advice, a different computer for banking, or something like operating a bootable OS that you use for banking ONLY.

Use Gmail. Make your user ID something nonsensical such as: gj4#ert*@gmail.com Then, make your password also nonsensical. My cybersecurity hubster truly believes a 24 character password essential for PII.

Also, always log out. Do not allow your machine to keep you logged in or retain your information.

Also, make sure you turn on the two factor authentication for your new gmail account so that no one can hack it.

Thanks for the guidance. I got really spooked by this happening.

I had thought that I had covered it all with logging in, two factor authentication and logging off when finished. I linked in from my Keeper password manager in which I have set it as requiring an authentication code each time I wish to access any password. So the access was gained through the data remaining on the computer while I moved to other sites such as SLF. I need to clear my cache each time as well.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Thanks for the guidance. I got really spooked by this happening.

I had thought that I had covered it all with logging in, two factor authentication and logging off when finished. I linked in from my Keeper password manager in which I have set it as requiring an authentication code each time I wish to access any password. So the access was gained through the data remaining on the computer while I moved to other sites such as SLF. I need to clear my cache each time as well.
    Fully close your browser after a transaction. My Cyber guy says clearing cache is really not necessary. He says financial transactions are not set to Cache. It would be highly unusual for one to do so.

Thread Information