Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frugality ideas you'd like to try

Our fridge goes back and forth from too full to too empty. I can't seem to strike a happy medium this last month, but I am motivated by this thread. I think my biggest problem right now is actually using what I have before it goes bad.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Our fridge goes back and forth from too full to too empty. I can't seem to strike a happy medium this last month, but I am motivated by this thread. I think my biggest problem right now is actually using what I have before it goes bad.
    That was the dilemma I had when having a CSA. I learned how to preserve the excess before it went bad and was able to use it later. My favorite book for this ....https://www.amazon.com/Preserving-Su.../dp/0875966489

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Sometimes I fantasize about spending my retirement taking classes in practical skills like auto repair. Rosa impressed me when she took a carpentry class. I don't know if this is still the case but I heard in the past tuition is waived for seniors some places.
    I have missed carpentry class so much, and I'm fervently hoping classes will resume in the fall now that so many are vaccinated. I agree that auto repair would be another very interesting skill to learn.

Husband is trying planting pumpkin seeds in tree stump to see if he can rot it out that way.

I dug up glad bulbs from old house last winter and brought them and put them in garden here and they are coming up.

Yppej
    I am going to try to make toothpaste using coconut oil and baking soda in the near future.

The coconut oil is supposed to do great things for oral health, so make sure to report back. Maybe I should try this for my gums.

I finally bought the ingredients for the homemade laundry soap. Have a little bit of liquid stocked up to use, but then I'm ready to give the homemade a try!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I finally bought the ingredients for the homemade laundry soap. Have a little bit of liquid stocked up to use, but then I'm ready to give the homemade a try!
    Yay! I have been doing this since 2007 and have saved so much money! You will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Yay! I have been doing this since 2007 and have saved so much money! You will love it.
    I posted before that I used to do this when the kids were younger and our budget was tighter, so it should go okay.

Question since you do this... I read that if you use cold water to wash, it makes it easier to dissolve the powdered homemade if you put it in a canning jar with water and shake to mix before putting it into the washer. It's a little thing, but I don't want family members having undissolved soap on their clothes.

I'm sorry, I only make the gel liquid kind--never have tried powdered homemade. I always had trouble getting any powdered detergent to dissolve and had the problem you mentioned so switched to liquid.

Thread Information