Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frugality ideas you'd like to try

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I'm sorry, I only make the gel liquid kind--never have tried powdered homemade. I always had trouble getting any powdered detergent to dissolve and had the problem you mentioned so switched to liquid.
    Thanks. I'll give the powdered a shot this first time around and see how it goes.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I do one grated bar Sunlight soap, ! !/3 C each of borax and washing soda mix and use cold water with no problems. I do grate and run it in the food processor to make sure it is ground fine.

Tybee, we were going to compare notes on consumption. I made my mix on Jan 15, do 2-3 loads a week, took out 1/3 Cup for hand washing my bras and will run out of mix in mid June so it has lasted about 5 months.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I do one grated bar Sunlight soap, ! !/3 C each of borax and washing soda mix and use cold water with no problems. I do grate and run it in the food processor to make sure it is ground fine.

Tybee, we were going to compare notes on consumption. I made my mix on Jan 15, do 2-3 loads a week, took out 1/3 Cup for hand washing my bras and will run out of mix in mid June so it has lasted about 5 months.

Razz, that is good info. I have done a crummy job of noting my usage, and I have been doing extraordinary amounts of laundry as I decluttered all my dad and mom's old clothing to give away, so I have been doing at least 10-14 loads a week. I think mine lasted about 2 months, as my husband made more yesterday, and one before that.

razz, do you use yours dry or make it into a liquid? That's a long time for one batch!!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

I chuckled when I saw the exclamation marks instead of #1 in the quote. That is a lot of cleaning to do. Imagine the cost if you were buying liquid detergent.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

See, my problem with my budgeting is that then I would say, gosh, look, I saved all that money and then go spend it on books or watches or summer sandals.

I use it dry. 1 rounded Tbsp for a small load and 2 rounded Tbsp for a large load. Vinegar for the softener.

I use it dry. 1 rounded Tbsp for a small load and 2 rounded Tbsp for a large load. Vinegar for the softener.
    Thanks! I'm taking notes and will be labeling my container for the rest of the family.

I have to say that I love my DIY detergent, so thanks to all of you have shared recipes. It does go a long way, and it cleans clothes well.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

with covid and once a week shopping I did meal plan, but then I'd get tired after a day of work and end up having a can of beans for dinner instead. The food waste is not extreme, but it's not zero either. And yea lettuce often goes bad even though I eat salads all the time.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information