Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Frugality ideas you'd like to try

ANM, I love salads too, but have been very bad about making them lately. Then, when I want one, the lettuce is bad. I hate throwing away food!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Lettuce, mine lasts about a week. I wash it as soon as I bring it home, use the salad spinner, put it on a cotton dish towel, cover it with a damp napkin, bundle it up and put it in the humidor drawer in the refrigerator. Then I can just tear up what I need each day. I'm quite pleased with the process and it doesn't get wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Lettuce, mine lasts about a week. I wash it as soon as I bring it home, use the salad spinner, put it on a cotton dish towel, cover it with a damp napkin, bundle it up and put it in the humidor drawer in the refrigerator. Then I can just tear up what I need each day. I'm quite pleased with the process and it doesn't get wasted.
    These truly do work. We've been washing/reusing the same ones for years. Greens keep easily for 3 weeks. (I don't wash foods until ready to use them.) I cannot even guess how often these have saved me from waste because plans and menus change between buying produce and actually eating it!

https://www.amazon.com/Debbie-Meyer-.../dp/B00I4V1U06

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    The coconut oil is supposed to do great things for oral health, so make sure to report back. Maybe I should try this for my gums.
    It seems to work well but the consistency varies from watery when it is hot out to hard and not pastelike when it is chilly. I have a lot of baking soda in the house to use up so I will keep making it for a while.

I found that deliberately planned reuse/leftover meal worked best... my menu plan is a pattern, not specific meals. I deliberately make a double sized veg dish on Monday and use the remainder on Weds. Tuesday’s are leftovers, because Weds. is a dump day. On Friday, The plan is to cook a meat dish big enough for 2 meals.

Mon. Veg 1
    Tues. Dibs and Dabs - leftovers
    Weds. Veg 2
    Thurs. Egg something
    Fri. Meat 1
    Sat. Sandwiches
    Sun. Meat 2

This suits us so well that I really don’t think about it anymore, I just do it. Last night we had rice, sautéed veg, and chili verde. Tonight we’ll probably have Mexican omelettes. I may or may not make flour tortillas...

Thread Information