Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Building Codes

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Not our experience in 2 locations in a single state.
    Which municipalities or jurisdictions are you talking about? If they did not adopt the national codes are you saying they wrote their own? Or?

This thread is not too old to bring back from the dead. Interesting Twitter thread from a Houston-area developer with firsthand experience as to why it can be so difficult to create affordable housing:https://twitter.com/DonovanBuilds/st...28194464440320

No take on this from me that's any different from the drum I've banged before -- we have met the enemy, and he is us.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thanks for posting the Twitter thread. I finally got to read the comments that appear there on Twitter noting that few seem connected to anything else said. Everyone seems to talking to their self.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Everyone seems to talking to their self.
    That...would be Twitter.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    Steve I can't read your link because it keeps prompting me to log into Twitter.

Here is an example of how big government and anti common sense my state can be:

https://whdh.com/news/some-mass-resi...regulations-2/

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Steve I can't read your link because it keeps prompting me to log into Twitter.
    Hmm. Not sure why it's doing that. When I paste that link into an entirely new browser on which I don't use Twitter, I see the thread (along with a footer suggesting that you log in to Twitter, but the entire thread is visible without having a Twitter ID).

Yppej
    I am thinking replacing a ceiling with a drywall ceiling does not require a permit since it does not impact structure, egress, electrical, gas, plumbing, energy conservation, or any of the other things I see listed as requiring permits in my state. My inclination is to hire someone to do it but if they say permits are required rather than have an inspector nose around I will consider doing it if I can round up a helper. I don't think I can hold up the drywall sheet and screw or nail it in myself at the same time. I know my limits.

Yppej It is REALLY hard for me to believe that a handyman putting in a ceiling would urge you to get a permit for this work or even lighter work that requires a permit.

Maybe you’re in a more intensively controlled arena than I am, but I doubt it. Here it is far more common for the contractor to show surprise that work needs a permit. I mean there are certain obvious electrical and plumbing things that need permits, but hang some drywall, I really doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am thinking replacing a ceiling with a drywall ceiling does not require a permit since it does not impact structure, egress, electrical, gas, plumbing, energy conservation, or any of the other things I see listed as requiring permits in my state. My inclination is to hire someone to do it but if they say permits are required rather than have an inspector nose around I will consider doing it if I can round up a helper. I don't think I can hold up the drywall sheet and screw or nail it in myself at the same time. I know my limits.
    Uhm, what is the ceiling currently?

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Uhm, what is the ceiling currently?
    It was acoustic ceiling tiles.

Thread Information