Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What do you look for in travel?

That looks like it. Maybe it was me who was shaking!

Absolute terror.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    To me, the best part of Tennessee is the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. It's great for scenery, wildlife, hiking etc., the view from Clingmans Dome is spectacular! Our first half dozen or so trips to that area were for scenic motorcycle rides within the park and along the Tail Of The Dragon, the Cherohala Skyway and the Smokey Mountain Loop. On one of those rides we had a bear run across the road just in front of us, that was the most exhilarating yet frightening ride we ever had.

If you're more of a shopping, restaurant, amusement park, upside down building sort of traveler the adjacent areas of Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg should keep you entertained for weeks. Plus if you travel just a little farther south you can visit an actual sovereign nation in Cherokee NC.

Our recent trip was a spring break getaway for our grandson who wanted to ride the steam trains at Dollywood, one is named Klondike Katie after it's initial use hauling supplies for the creation of the ALCAN Highway and the other is named Cinderella based upon the fact that its boiler has a tendency to throw flaming cinders out the smokestack. The other train ride was on the Smoky Mountain Railroad along the Nantahala Gorge.

If you don't like crowds, avoid the whole Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. That makes me crazy.
    Thanks for the input! I have from the library books on best hikes in Smoky Mntn Nat’l park and Blue Ridge Mntn road trip. I will also contact the parks in the area for more info. Would probably go in Sept? Not sure because it is said this is one of the most frequented parks in the US. Wonder if may be overrun from everyone wanting to go now that they are vaccinated? Going to avoid the shopping places you mentioned.. that is not my idea of fun.

DH and I did a drive through the Smokey Mountains about 26 years ago. All I can remember is that it was absolutely beautiful and I think we did a cave or two.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Couldn’t find the post discussion about route planning …. so will post here. I haven’t tried this out yet but it looks promising.

https://www.mapquest.com/routeplanner

Okay---What I look for in travel is Short Distances. Yup. I like driving through Zurra, if there's a very good reason to get somewhere, and then back, alive. Driving for drivings' sake, is not something I do to entertain myself. See? But yeah---there's the suburban village o' Nixy,m the fastest-growing city in Zurra. Traffic is Murder, there. It is populated by suburbanites who drive back and forth every day, to their offices in the big city. They live in recently-constructed Dream Homes on large lots, where there are more things you are NOT permitted to do, than things you ARE, which I believe is pointless. See? Mowing obsessively is of course allowed. So is grilling large cuts of MEAT. Yup. But yeah---Nixy's best-kept secret is a little scrap metal dealer located on a side road, which I discovered nn my way to buy a used table and bookshelf from a party who was moving to wah-skonsun. I haven't been by there since last year, so they may have been put out-of-business, by the powers-that-be. Who knows. Hope that helps you some. Thankkm mee.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    When I went to Morocco in 2015, I wanted to go somewhere very different. Indeed I got my wish. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The coasts are pretty, true. And I will likely go to the Willamette Valley before I die to see the Iris Farms. The major growers are out there. But I will fly so I don’t have to drive through desert.
    Well we live near them, but tend to speed up and down I-5 and never see them. The Iris and tulip fields are beautiful - at least the photos I have seen of them. Now that I don't work Saturdays any longer (have my entire life), maybe this will be the year!

I have gotten to travel a lot in my younger years - Europe, New York, Florida, Bahamas, Australia (lived there), New Zealand, Hawaii (lived there), western USA, Mexico. When I finally retire I told my wife I want to go to an island - that is warm and has white sandy beaches, palm trees and aqua colored water. I just and to go soak up the sun and read! Airport to hotel to beach.

Okay---a place that is about to become a mecca for the Drive-N-Eat people is the quaint little ol' village o' Herman, Zurra. How do I know this? Well, I keep getting ads on my F-book feed, letting littlebittymee know that it is so. See? But yeah---Herman, Zurra is very romantic, when you sit-n-eat a plate o' food! Yup. See photo. That proves it. Thankk mee.2023-03-30 (22).jpg2023-03-30 (19).jpg

Thread Information