Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you look for in travel?

What do you look for in travel?

We usually do nature travel... lately local in state bird watching and pretty hiking areas. In a few weeks we will go to a village wide garage sale and then the next day to a large flea market and will stay one night in a motel. It is such a pleasure just to get away and have a change of scenery.

Ours always seem to be about food or interesting people. We have over the years gone to conventions about specialty food, the NY Restaurant Assoc. Show, Euro Food Expo, cooking classes, etc. We just returned from a week long cooking class on Summer Suppers and Savory Pies at the JCCampbell Folk Art School in NC. Then we are going to Charleston to visit the sites and eat the great food.

We go to a location of interest. These include interest in it's history, it's nature, it's cultural experience.

1. We want to see all our National Parks.
    2. Fall tour of NE.
    3. Route 66.

When we choose a place we stay and immerse. We flew into Denver and rented a car. We spent 14 days on the Colorado summit. We rented a condo in Breckenridge for 2 weeks and that was home base. (It was summer and the condo was cheap back then). We've spent a week in the Boulder area. We've spent 3d in the CO Springs area. When people talk about Colorado, we've been to any place mentioned except Durango and Telluride.

Wow, this is shaping up to be a cool thread! Thanks for the ideas!

I have taken advantage of business travel. While work is work, I feel grateful that I have been able to see a lot of places I never would have been able to see, and I have always tried to take advantage of the local sites when I could. Same for DH, when he was working and traveling for business. We've been to probably 20 countries between us and have been to 2/3rds of the States.

Because we've done so much business travel, we are fairly content to stay put. But to answer the question, if/when I travel, it would be similar to frugal-one, with meanders here and there.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

In these United States? Nothing West of Kansas City unless that be a cultural icon such as Santa Fe or San Francisco. I will brave the desert only for spectacular culture. The pueblo Indians’ places interest me as well as some of the National Parks, The Redwoods, the cottages of
    Carmel, CA but I have to brave the desert to get to these latter places, so I think not. If I had a million years to live I would like to see springtime in Montana or Wyoming as well the lupines in Texas.

But I will stick to Eastern U.S. and Canada most likely for North American travel. savannah, Charleston,
    new Orleans are cities I’ve not seen.A hundred other places interest me. but not Florida, been there done that.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 5-17-21 at 8:36am.

Can I dive and drive there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Can I dive and drive there.
    https://www.doorcounty.com/newslette...r-door-county/

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Wow, this is shaping up to be a cool thread! Thanks for the ideas!

I have taken advantage of business travel. While work is work, I feel grateful that I have been able to see a lot of places I never would have been able to see, and I have always tried to take advantage of the local sites when I could. Same for DH, when he was working and traveling for business. We've been to probably 20 countries between us and have been to 2/3rds of the States.

Because we've done so much business travel, we are fairly content to stay put. But to answer the question, if/when I travel, it would be similar to frugal-one, with meanders here and there.
    We are traveling in state solely because of the pandemic. I still have visions of traveling far and wide. I would also like to see all the national parks in the US. Recently picked up a book about the national parks of Europe. Some cool places to check out there too.

Like Gardnr we pick a location.. fly and rent a car and check out the area. The most recent was the Finger Lakes of NY. There was so much to see and do in that area and it is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    In these United States? Nothing West of Kansas City unless that be a cultural icon such as Santa Fe or San Francisco. I will brave the desert only for spectacular culture. The pueblo Indians’ places interest me as well as some of the National Parks, The Redwoods, the cottages of
    Carmel, CA. If I had a million years to live I would like to see springtime in Montana or Wyoming as well the lupines in Texas.

But I will stick to Eastern U.S. and Canada most likely for North American travel. savannah, Charleston,
    new Orleans are cities I’ve not seen.A hundred other places interest me. but not Florida, been there done that.
    Have you been to Palm Springs, CA? I usually don't like desert either but loved Palm Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Ours always seem to be about food or interesting people. We have over the years gone to conventions about specialty food, the NY Restaurant Assoc. Show, Euro Food Expo, cooking classes, etc. We just returned from a week long cooking class on Summer Suppers and Savory Pies at the JCCampbell Folk Art School in NC. Then we are going to Charleston to visit the sites and eat the great food.
    This sounds interesting! How do you find out or research about food conventions? I have done cooking classes and really don't like them. I find most of them to be mostly about "presentation" but a convention about a specialty food would be unique!

Just checked 2021 food conferences and came up with list! Interesting ....

Thread Information