Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Immediate Family Lost to Covid

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    So far the answer from everyone is no. Interesting.
    Empathy for humanity's pain and suffering might be another approach. My heart aches when another suffers. Does yours, yppej?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

With nearly 600,000 dead, it really doesn't matter to me that they are not "immediate family" and it shouldn't matter to any caring human being.

I've had 8 family members contract covid over 14 months and all are now vaccinated except 1 who is still awaiting the OK from her doc. 1 is a long hauler on 2 respiratory meds, probably for life. I know several dead people. Healthcare providers who have committed suicide as the stress of deaths one after the other was too much. Healthcare providers who are quitting due to PTSD.

The fact that you would pose this question is beyond my comprehension of human disconnect from something so very real in so very many lives. But hey, "it didn't happen to me therefore it doesn't matter" is alive and real in this country and obviously that is your talking point.

Her other talking point is that the majority of the deaths were old people so they don’t really count. Or something.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Just curious--what's the point of this?
    I am curious as to whether the pandemic might be exaggerated by the media and health officials. I have previously posted that a coworker's father died of old age, but then the medical examiner was forced to change the cause of death to covid because there was covid in the nursing home he was living in.

I don't doubt that covid exists, and has taken some lives, but when I compare this to the 1918 flu epidemic, which my next door neighbor used to talk about when he was still alive, and which touched the immediate family of every person he knew, it seems a whole different scale. Of course some will say covid is worse because they do not take into consideration the differences in population over the intervening century.

I do think that people's views of mitigation measures are colored by whether they or those close to them are impacted. This may also be a factor in vaccine hesitancy.

ETA - While I do not wish death on anyone, having heard the other day that Trump plans another rally, it did occur to me that if this leads to an outbreak that kills people it might spur more of his followers to get vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Her other talking point is that the majority of the deaths were old people so they don’t really count. Or something.
    Jeppy is not alone in this.

I was talking to a fellow garden club lady who is adamant we should get back on the flower show wagon (ummmm, 99% of flower show participants are over age 60) and she said , direct quote “I don’t know anyone who has died of Covid” and I reminded her that a retired flower show judge in our group had died of it and she dismissed that with “well she was very old.”

The person I’m talking to is 75 years old.

Covid was the third leading cause of death in the US last year. No big deal. (Insert eye roll emoji here)

I am curious as to whether the pandemic might be exaggerated by the media and health officials.
    So until your brother, son, parents or other "immediate family member" dies from covid, you will consider this whole thing to be an exaggeration - how sad for you that you think so little of your family.

I don't doubt that covid exists, and has taken some lives, but when I compare this to the 1918 flu epidemic, which my next door neighbor used to talk about when he was still alive, and which touched the immediate family of every person he knew, it seems a whole different scale. Of course some will say covid is worse because they do not take into consideration the differences in population over the intervening century.
    1918 versus 2019 - over a hundred years difference in medical knowledge, pandemic responses, the world itself, etc.

I do think that people's views of mitigation measures are colored by whether they or those close to them are impacted.
    Most definitely, as you seem to be a prime example of someone lacking common sense and empathy for anyone but yourself, while exhibiting displaced anger towards anyone and everyone because you just can't seem to cope - and would rather whine, blame and deny - with the reality as it truly exists.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Jeppy is not alone in this.

I was talking to a fellow garden club lady who is adamant we should get back on the flower show wagon (ummmm, 99% of flower show participants are over age 60) and she said , direct quote “I don’t know anyone who has died of Covid” and I reminded her that a retired flower show judge in our group had died of it and she dismissed that with “well she was very old.”

The person I’m talking to is 75 years old.
    "If they're going to die, let them get on with it and rid the world of excess population" I think that's a pretty close paraphrase of Scrooge's line in A Christmas Carol.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Headed to work, will have to finish later.

Friend that moved, lost her 28 year old pregnant granddaughter and baby to covid. Last time I saw the granddaughter, was when she took custody of her at 14 (wild child whose parents were drug addicts).

Five people I know have died from Covid. One coworker last week just died and he had his first vaccine. My cousin died of Covid and several other family members have had it. Three are dealing with long haulers and not doing well at all.

Thread Information