Thread: Looking for research participants

Looking for research participants

Hello,
    My name is Alexander Minter. I am a fifth year Ph.D. student at Fielding Graduate University and I am conducting a research study for my dissertation that explores minimalism as a lifestyle choice. I am defining minimalism as a lifestyle option as reducing excess in favor of focusing on what is valuable or important. I am seeking research participants for my study and am using online forums such as this one to identify potential candidates. As a result of your participation in this research, you may develop a deeper understanding of your personal perceptions and experiences of a minimalist lifestyle, meaning and mental health. It may also offer the opportunity to contribute to a growing understanding of the benefits of a minimalist lifestyle and how the lifestyle modifies meaning and mental health. If you are willing to participate, please send your email address to the email listed below and you will receive additional details.

Sincerely,
    Alexander Minter, Ph.D. Candidate

Clinical Psychology, Fielding Graduate University

Email: aminter@email.fielding.edu

Hello,

I can think of a couple of true minimalists who once hung out on our forum here, but they are gone now.

I think we are mostly embracers of voluntary simplicity, in theory if not in practice. To degrees anyway.

I know I would not meet anyone’s standard of minimalism and likely not even a standard of simplicity except in my own little mind.

I wish you well in your research.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 5-18-21 at 10:58am.

While I have downsized to fit into 855 sq ft comfortably I am not a minimalist.

While I'm working towards a minimalist lifestyle, I don't feel I am there yet; sometimes it feels like I'm not even close. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Hello,

I can think of a couple of true minimalists who once hung out on our forum here, but they are gone now.

I think we are mostly embracers of voluntary simplicity, in theory if not in practice. To degrees anyway.

I know I would not meet anyone’s standard of minimalism and likely not even a standard of simplicity except in my own little mind.

I wish you well in your research.
    Hi iris lilies, thank you for this response. I've been enjoying reading the posts on this platform and it's good to know that finding individuals that identify as "minimalists" might be difficult here. I also posted my inquiry on a reddit forum and have been getting some interest there. Thanks again.

Me too

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    While I'm working towards a minimalist lifestyle, I don't feel I am there yet; sometimes it feels like I'm not even close. LOL.
    Hi happystuff, I can relate. I recently built a tiny house to help me better understand the minimalist movement and I have reduced my possessions, but I would not consider myself a minimalist--at least not yet. But then, I think that's part of the reason that I'm performing this study--to better understand the question, what is a minimalist? Thanks,

Yppej
    I am too frugal to be a minimalist. I stock up on things on sale. I like tools so I can do things myself. If I have to pay to have something like an old appliance hauled away it will stay in my basement. And my son who lives with me is even more that way.

When I think of a minimalist I think of Ultralight who counted his possessions. His living room was pretty bare when he posted pictures. I prefer a homey look without being cluttered. I was in a house with no pictures or decorations. It felt cold and weird. If you put junk like old appliances down the basement the day of reckoning will come and be awful to get rid of a bunch of junk versus paying a minimal hauling fee when you get a new appliance.

When I think of minimalism I think of having only what you need. I think there's an austerity to minimalism that appeals to me, because I feel it brings a level of freedom and intentionality to life. I've always been drawn to Thoreau's cabin, Peace Pilgrim's tunic, monk's quarters, the Nearing's one bowl and chopsticks per person in their home. If I look at too much stuff in my surroundings, my mind fragments. That being said, I have too much stuff in my surroundings.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Minter View Post
    Hi happystuff, I can relate. I recently built a tiny house to help me better understand the minimalist movement and I have reduced my possessions, but I would not consider myself a minimalist--at least not yet. But then, I think that's part of the reason that I'm performing this study--to better understand the question, what is a minimalist? Thanks,
    I am curious about the tiny house you built. Would you be willing to share some more about the design, the materials and the challenges of parking it as that has come up for discussion at different times. I note that you are in the psychology dept and a PhD candidate. Are you living in the tiny house, counting the items in it and thereby striving to better understand the thought or processes leading to the minimalist lifestyle and its duration in one's lifetime?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information