Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else having trouble sourcing pet food currently?

Bae were there vitamins that you needed to add also?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Bae were there vitamins that you needed to add also?
    Seems likely, but I haven't done so yet. I suspect I need to modify the ingredients a bit, or supplement, for calcium and a couple other things. Then again, I've fed elderly dogs this mix for years before without much trouble.

After getting started reading on this topic, I am going to try some homemade dog food just to give my dog some variety and interest. So many recipes online!

Some of the reviews of the basic recipe similar to Bae's advised that their dog's anal gland had fewer problems with plugging which is a problem at present for my little beagle; also often he has BM's 3x/day when out walking. No odour emission issues, thank goodness. I had not considered that a modification of the food might resolve some of this. I will cook up a batch, reduce some of the kibble and add some homemade. It will add to his food enthusiasm and may benefit him as well. Beagles are noted for overeating so I have carefully monitored his intake.
    I love how one topic of a thread often triggers other considerations that may benefit.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Does anyone have a homemade cat food recipe? I like bae's dog food one, and wonder if that would do for cats as well.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Do your research before trying to feed cats a homemade diet. "If you choose to go it alone, be warned: Making your own cat food is an exacting and time-consuming business. Striking the right balance of ingredients, including vitamins and minerals, and properly storing the food are critical for a happy and healthy animal."

It is not as simple as throwing something together.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Do your research before trying to feed cats a homemade diet. "If you choose to go it alone, be warned: Making your own cat food is an exacting and time-consuming business. Striking the right balance of ingredients, including vitamins and minerals, and properly storing the food are critical for a happy and healthy animal."

It is not as simple as throwing something together.
    Thanks. Sigh... was hoping for "easy".
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information