Thread: D=What's the Dumbest thing you ever went into Debt for?

D=What's the Dumbest thing you ever went into Debt for?

Since we seem to have been stuck on things related to "C" lately, I thought I'd move on to "D"

So, Sesame Street-style, today is being brought to you by the letter D.

What is the Dumbest thing you ever went into Debt for?

For me, it was a big conversion van. We had no other car and while the the car was certainly big enough for our family of 6, we had it during the time we were taking my son and daughter into NYC three times a week for auditions... try finding a parking space in Manhattan for a conversion van. It was a nightmare--and a lemon! We took a bath on that outrageous purchase. We were paying for it long after the engine blew.

How about you?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Since I have had only two debts, my first car and my first house, I guess it would have to be the car.

I wanted that cute MG midget car which was a mechanical problem even when new and was very expensive relative to my income. But I don’t regret it. I didn’t have a long lasting effect on my life. When I became a responsible adult about age 25 I sold it and bought an AMC Gremlin for cash.

My first house was a “money loser “or at least I didn’t make any money on it but I didn’t expect to.

Probably a better discussion of the Dumb word for me would be large purchases that were totally not worth it. I’ll have to think about that but I know there have been several.

Yppej
    An ex.

Sitting here thinking and I can't come up with a thing - lucky me! I generally wait until I have the money to purchase something, so don't generate debt. Exception is house and one brand new car, but I don't consider those "dumb" purchases.

Edited to add: I have bought plenty of dumb things! But, so far, have not gone into debt for them.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Living expenses when I was too scattered to make a retirement plan. Really, sometimes I'm surprised I'm OK now.

In my first job I was offered reimbursement if I took courses at university to complete my degree. I was 18, so naive and immature that I declined and have regretted that since then.

DH was so level-headed most of the time that he helped manage any disasters in money matters. He did just once get into a p!ssing match at an auction against another and bought a farm implement that was a disaster using my savings towards a needed item in the house. I learned never to get caught at auctions as did he.

When I had my business, I signed an annual contract and paid for a weekly newspaper advert that was a total waste.
    My biggest mistakes were basically a need for a mentor at different times in my life, someone to talk to that would understand the challenges, opportunities and options who had lived through them. I now try to mentor others.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Everything and anything we put on our Credit Card when we couldn't pay it off every damn month! Likely a shitload of shit

I've really never went into debt for anything beyond a credit card bill i pay off next month. yea that might be an annoying confession, but remember debt can pay off too, and I don't have that either.

now buy things I regret, yea of course I've done that, but paid it off the next month at worse.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Everything and anything we put on our Credit Card when we couldn't pay it off every damn month! Likely a shitload of shit
    Same here. There was a time in our lives that we would charge clothes, vacations & restaurant meals, and carry a balance on our cards. We would not dream of doing that now.

This house, I guess.

Thread Information