Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: NY Times Magazine: "What We Spent in a Month"

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    As someone who tends to remember past boyfriends by the cars they drove, I can say I dated a gremlin, and it (and he) was cute!
    My boyfriends were almost always car guys.

My too, IL. I think that growing up in the 70s - at least in the midwest - teen/young adult culture was peculiarly car driven. I don't think I knew many guys that weren't car guys. At reunions, even now, cars are integral to memory. "Do you remember the guy that drove the 68 Camaro ragtop? The blue one? What was his name?? " That sort of thing. My kids, OTOH, barely remember what they, or anyone else, drove to school.

Few in the rural community could afford any vehicles for years. Usually the first one was a 1/2 ton that served many purposes and was thus justifiable.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Anyone who didn't grow up dragging Main in HS, hasn't lived

We've been car nuts since we were 17. Oh how I wish I hadn't sold my 69 Camaro straight 6 250 on the column for a new stupid S10 pickup. Young people are dumb!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Anyone who didn't grow up dragging Main in HS, hasn't lived

We've been car nuts since we were 17. Oh how I wish I hadn't sold my 69 Camaro straight 6 250 on the column for a new stupid S10 pickup. Young people are dumb!
    Many people would date you because of that car.

our neighbors in Herman, the people across the street, are quite a bit younger than we are but they have a fleet of cars because they have multiple young people in their house. But in addition to that the dad is a car guy. So he just most recently got an old truck and they’re very very popular right now. But he also has a blue muscle car that I think it’s a Camaro? Or some thing of that ilk. Of course it’s not as old as our Camaros would be, but to him it’s very very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I’m sure there’s someone out there that thinks gremlins are cute…😆
    I actually feel this way about corvettes. I don't understand the desire to own one... big, only seats two, low to the ground, expensive to buy/own/repair, etc. And I prefer the look of a gremlin over a corvette - but that's just me. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I actually feel this way about corvettes.
    I drool over a 63 split window and there are quite a few that have been restored. If had a space, I'd have one in the garage for Sunday drives.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Many people would date you because of that car.
    LOL. We were already married when I bought it from the original owner. Hubster was driving a 70 Chevelle. We had a great looking garage! Stupid pickup.

I'm glad I could read the article. I also like reading the commentary and learn a lot from that. What I liked what that the values were so different for each family, and that brought home how much I need to work to make my spending more in line with my truest values. I need to get to work with my husband and a budget.

In car-related news, I apparently provoked a bidding war amongst local dealers over my 4-year-old silly muscle car, and tomorrow will journey to the mainland to sell it to one of them for basically what I paid for it new. The pandemic has produced a shortage in new and used cars, especially specialty vehicles.

Sell 'em if you've got 'em.

Thread Information