Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NY Times Magazine: "What We Spent in a Month"

NY Times Magazine: "What We Spent in a Month"

I hope there's no paywall. I love reading these kinds of articles. This is about six American families and what they spent in one month. It's always very revealing to see what people find their life energy is worth in different areas.

I have to say, the article made me feel better about my spending, even though I feel my monthly number is way too high.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...y-diaries.html
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Fascinating:

"Brittany: For me, tithing to church ($1,200) is very natural, because I saw my parents do it. The way we view it is, like, our money is not our own. God blessed us with the money, right? I’m not adding up exactly what we make and taking 10 percent; it’s more of a rounded ballpark number, because our income fluctuates month to month. My husband didn’t grow up as a Christian. It did take a little bit of explanation."

Brttany's occupation is listed as "lawyer/Youtube vlogger".

"Brittany: I wouldn’t say it was a dream since I was a little kid. I graduated, took the bar exam, passed, and I’m like, “Well, I guess I’m a lawyer now.” I didn’t think of the future, how long I’d have to pay these off. When I first graduated from law school, because my salary was low, the six-figure loans were more daunting. I have four years left. I don’t notice them as much."

I am stunned at the monthly costs for so many things but I may simply be out of touch with today's families and their priorities.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Unfortunately, there is a paywall.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Unfortunately, there is a paywall.
    Often right-clicking and "open in incognito window" does the trick.

I'm always fascinated by how people prioritize their spending. Especially when they feel they don't have any money.

You can sign up to read some articles for free which is what I did. Some of those expenses made my head hurt as well as the guy that hasn’t paid his child support in 19 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    the guy that hasn’t paid his child support in 19 years.
    If I was dating someone and found that out the relationship would likely be over.

I’m confused. Huy said he liked having a heater car so that they wouldn’t worry as much parking places in San Francisco. (A valid concern). But in the expense list it shows car payment $694. That doesn’t seem very beater at all.

Thread Information