Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Immediate Family Lost to Covid

Immediate Family Lost to Covid

I started this thread to see if anyone here has lost immediate family to covid. I will define immediate family the way HR departments do when deciding if you get paid bereavement leave as - parent, parent-in-law, spouse, significant other with whom you cohabit, sibling, child.

No one I recall ever meeting has died of covid, though one distant relative did. I am wondering if my experience is the norm.

You ask your initial question based on "immediate family", but then comment that "No one I recall ever meeting has died of covid, though one distant relative did. I am wondering if my experience is the norm."

Your experience is quite different than mine and you should be grateful! There have been several people I "have met", including several extended family members that have died from COVID.

I'm guessing your experience is "not the norm" when compared to the friends and relatives of the approximately 585,000+ people that have died from the virus in the U.S. - so far -, let alone the surviving family and friends of all the others that have died around the world, again - so far.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

With 580,000 dead Americans that works out to roughly 1 in 575 people who died from covid. If we go with the HR definition of immediate family, that would be 2 parents, maybe 1 step-parent (assuming a 50% divorce and half of those remarrying rate and 1.7 children the average American has roughly a 1 in 100 chance of having an immediate family member that died from covid. Thatís pretty awful.

Iím fortunate not to fall into that category. I do, however, have a good friend whose father died of covid and two good friends who are still suffering long covid several months after their, both minor, initial infections. So maybe Iím not so fortunate after all because both of my long covid friends are thoroughly miserable.

Holy hell.

A good friend of mine died and my stepson who was young and very healthy is continuing to have lung issues 6 months later. So many lives lost to this virus. It’s heartbreaking.

So far the answer from everyone is no. Interesting.

I know of at least two people in my town who died of Covid, but fortunately nobody related to me or even that I know personally. A few people I know personally have had Covid but they recovered from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Just curious--what's the point of this?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    What is interesting about it? As I noted above the odds are roughly one in a hundred that any American would have an immediate family member who has died from the trump virus. Youíve gotten four responses so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    You’ve gotten four responses so far.
    Make that five. No one in my immediate or extended family has died from or been diagnosed with Covid. I do have an acquaintance who was diagnosed back in December but he was back up and about after a week or so.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information