Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Will You Get a Booster Shot?

Yppej

Will You Get a Booster Shot?

I can't find the post but I think it was Tybee who said she and her husband will not because of the effect on their arms.

Now I am thinking this way as well. My brother told me boosters add maybe 1% efficacy to the shot and I don't think it is worth it given my second dose reaction. After the first dose my arm was sore enough I had trouble sleeping despite taking acetaminophen, but now it is much worse. I can't lift my arm above my waist. It is not only sore but weak. This morning I tried following my routine of holding the toilet paper roll with one hand and tearing off squares with the other and I couldn't do it.

I'm also angry that the government hasn't done a good job of shutting down air travel to places like India, Brazil, the UK and South Africa where variants have come from. This was what kept New Zealand safe, and Canada still has its border to the US shut. But even when there have been travel bans there have been exceptions for US citizens, as if a virus can detect a person's nationality. I'm not jetting around the world causing the variants issue, people like Ted Cruz are.

Sure, I'll get a booster shot if and when they become available. I get a yearly flu shot too.

I always get a bit of a sore arm after an injection, nothing serious, something along the lines of the after-effect of getting a slug bug when you're a kid. I felt the same after my first covid shot but oddly enough not after my second, the lady who jabbed me must have mastered the art.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

It wasn't the effect on our arms. I had hives on my face after the second one. Not sure why my husband said he would not but he won't get flu shots. I did not used to get flu shots after one put me in the hospital with allergic reaction.

I am sorry about your arm; hopefully it will return to normal soon!

The 2nd vaccine with Pfizer and Moderna gets us into the high 90s ranging 95-97%. Your brother is wrong.

Will I get boosters in the future? Absolutely. Just like the flu, I'd prefer a non-case or mild-case of Covid if I'm going to get it.
    Last edited by Gardnr; 5-29-21 at 10:15am.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    It wasn't the effect on our arms. I had hives on my face after the second one.
    One of my patients this week said she had hives with the first Pfizer about 1 hour after. She took a Benadryl and it resolved quickly. She got her 2nd one and was going to take a Benadryl as a pre-emptive strike as soon as she got home.

Hives alone may not be serious, but if you have them along with swollen lips or wheezing, they could be a warning sign of a more severe reaction.

Yes I will get a booster. Now that I am into the grind of dr visiting I get all of the recommended vaccinations. I have not had a reaction to any of them.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    The 2nd vaccine with Pfizer and Moderna gets us into the high 90s ranging 95-97%. Your brother is wrong.

Will I get boosters in the future? Absolutely. Just like the flu, I'd prefer a non-case of mild-case of Covid if I'm going to get it.
    I am talking about additional boosters after the second shot.

Absolutely. I will get a booster as soon as I hear that it is recommended by those I trust. I get the flu shot every year and the pneumonia one whenever my doctor tells me I need it. Of all my systems, the respiratory system is weakest. No reactions noticed to anything.

With all due respect to your brother, I will get the booster whenever indicated. For the same reason I get an annual flu shot or keep up to date on tetanus or made sure I got covered for Shingles. Anything that significantly improves the probability of staying well is worth it.

Yes to the booster.

Thanks for the info about the hives! One of my kids just got their second Moderna this past Monday. Ran the full gambit of side effects, but came through well. Then on Thursday had what I am now thinking were hives. All cleared less than 24 hours later, but now we know what it probably was.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information