Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Will You Get a Booster Shot?

I've long used neutral pronouns when choosing not to disclose gender, so it's not a foreign concept to me.

When I write discussion guides I have traditionally framed questions in my guide like this:

"When you see your doctor, what do you say to him/her?"

It has only recently occurred to me that I can probably use the plural pronoun: "When you see your doctor, what do you say to them?"

It goes against my grain a little after years of getting chided by the nuns for such egregious grammatical "errors," but it's more efficient.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    When I write discussion guides I have traditionally framed questions in my guide like this:

"When you see your doctor, what do you say to him/her?"

It has only recently occurred to me that I can probably use the plural pronoun: "When you see your doctor, what do you say to them?"

It goes against my grain a little, but it's more efficient.
    Yes, I always used to wish that it was OK to use they/them/their; it just seemed to make more sense, but it was against the grammar rules. Having it drummed into my head for so many years as not being OK, is making it a little tough to adapt to it now. I think I'll manage eventually though. I've certainly adapted to greater changes in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Yes, I always used to wish that it was OK to use they/them/their; it just seemed to make more sense, but it was against the grammar rules. Having it drummed into my head for so many years as not being OK, is making it a little tough to adapt to it now. I think I'll manage eventually though. I've certainly adapted to greater changes in my life.
    I agree about it going against the grammar rules, which is why I found the article on the history linked above to be so helpful. It was at my last job at the warehouse that I encountered several individuals who chose their pronouns - something I had never really encountered before. I find it very interesting and an easy enough accommodation to make to not offend and to respect someone. So... I'm learning and trying!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Here is a new twist. The WHO is saying no one should get booster shots until everyone worldwide has a chance to get initial vaccines. I think this will make a good poll question.

We’ll be waiting until he’ll freezes over for boosters if we follow that suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    We’ll be waiting until he’ll freezes over for boosters if we follow that suggestion.
    You used he'll instead of gender neutral they'll. Tsk tsk.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    You used he'll instead of gender neutral they'll. Tsk tsk.
    That was probably autocorrect’s fault but yeah. They, the American people, will freeze over before boosters if we wait until the world has gotten vaxxed.

Thread Information