Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Will You Get a Booster Shot?

Studies are starting to come out regarding the length and effectiveness of the vaccines. So far it's looking like they work better and for longer than people originally thought would be the case.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/28/h...=pocket-newtab

This is great news JP!

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Studies are starting to come out regarding the length and effectiveness of the vaccines. So far it's looking like they work better and for longer than people originally thought would be the case.

The NY Times report stated that "older adults may need boosters".

On July 30, Israel began to administer booster shots to residents older than 60, who received Pfizer vaccine at least 5 months ago.

Elsewhere in the news, Derrick Rossi, one of the co-developers of Moderna vaccine, said "a regular booster shot will almost certainly be needed". I understand that Moderna began developing a booster vaccine in February.

I will not be getting a booster unless required by my job (as in... no booster = must wear mask). I don't think my husband or boys will get one either but pretty sure Mom and sister would. Not sure about my brother but if I had to guess... I'd say no.

or not

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...s-july-30-2021

tldr first study cited: 3/4 cases of Covid appeared in those fully vaccinated

Amoung 5 covid patients hospitalized, 4 were fully vaccinated.

But I am not worried and I will stay away from large crowds of humans including flying through the air with them and hanging out in airports even if in the business class lounge.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    or not

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...s-july-30-2021

tldr first study cited: 3/4 cases of Covid appeared in those fully vaccinated

Amoung 5 covid patients hospitalized, 4 were fully vaccinated.
    Certainly that's less than perfect, but I'd say having only 1 out of every 100 infected people wind up in the hospital, and none in the morgue is a reasonably good outcome.

It would be informative if they had mentioned what vaccine the hospitalized had. (or maybe not if it turned out to be a random assortment of all three)

Certainly that's less than perfect, but I'd say having only 1 out of every 100 infected people wind up in the hospital, and none in the morgue is a reasonably good outcome.

It would be informative if they had mentioned what vaccine the hospitalized had. (or maybe not if it turned out to be a random assortment of all three)
    I am not able to read the New York Times article that you cite talking about how vaccines are better than originally thought. Therefore, I am not able to argue quantifiably whether current knowledge of July 31, 2021 shows vaccine(s) better and to what degree than the posits of yesteryear.

I am not conceding this point.

I will agree that the Covid vaccine is a good thing. Some of them better than others and probably diminishing in expectation and performance. If you want to call that status “better” I guess you may.

Moderate illness, even with 1% of infecteds needing hospitalization, but none dying certainly seems better than what happened pre-vaccinations. Especially as the delta variant is way more transmissible.

Imagine the horror show that hot spots like NYC last spring would have been if it had been the delta variant plowing through the population. Or most of the country in December/January. Hospitals were already maxed out in those situations. If infection rates had been significantly higher we would have seen the death toll skyrocket as the healthcare system collapsed from the burden and people who could have survived with treatment were left to die for lack of treatment.

I think the consensus in my area regarding mandates and the vaccine is that if people wanted to get vaccinated, they would be by now. There aren't any restrictions on it like there was when it first came out. Anyone who wants it can get it. Some are reluctant because they think they don't need it or are concerned that it isn't FDA approved. At this point, when will "free will" be accepted and life goes back to normal (and no... not the new normal. The real normal)? I know a lot of people who feel that if we choose to not get vaccinated and get Covid and die, that was your choice. And the whole "vaccinated people should wear masks so as not to infect unvaccinated people" is a load of bs. America is based on a land where people are free to choose so why isn't this the case with the vaccine? If you want to roll the dice, so be it. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Klunick View Post
    If you want to roll the dice, so be it. JMO
    Because with this virus and the variants, a person's decision and behaviors aren't affecting JUST themselves, but are impacting others.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information