Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deflation and excess inventory

I am not quite sure how inventories will rise substantially?
    So many places do JIT inventories (Just in time) and ordering is up in part due to shortages (ordering more because only getting partial deliveries), and not all places are automatic backorders (order more now, get regular order and never order or get the rest) and some backorders have to be opted in.
    There are places that claim they are updating their manufacture to be able to provide more, bullets come to mind. Most of the manufacturing equipment I am aware of, is pre WWII and both running full speed and being patched together (wore out), with it not being cost effective to manufacture that equipment often. One part of the shortage was due to a manufacturer going out of business/bankrupt, but now they have been bought out and restarted, prices have come down, while demand is still high. Nobody I have talked to expects to ever get as low as 2019 levels anymore.
    Restaurant I am aware of, has been going this whole time. Was given a warning of an expected shortage and like most, if it has a shelf life, can get more while the supply is there, to hopefully get through the rough patch, or they remove items from the menu/adapt if perishable.
    Meat plants, may put out more (normal levels), as covid restrictions ease up on spacing, but it has always been a commodity market.
    As for cobblers, they still exist in industries (amputee/chiropractic shoes, high end boots, etc), however they are as uncommon now as farriers were common in the 18th and 19th centuries.

I'm thinking that even if inventories rise, those holding onto them will reduce their prices to the degree necessary to reduce the inventories... probably to make way for "new" inventory. Sadly, that does seem to be the cycle and will continue to be until consumers says "Enough is enough!". (not holding my breath - lol)

And back to cobblers, specifically, while they may be harder to find, I believe they are still out there, but have also adapted. The one we used to use way back when had a shop of find leather goods - very artisan-type shop.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I just looked on Google Maps. There are 7-8 shoe/luggage/leather goods repair places within a 10-11 mile radius of where I live. NW Chicago suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I just looked on Google Maps. There are 7-8 shoe/luggage/leather goods repair places within a 10-11 mile radius of where I live. NW Chicago suburbs.
    When I worked downtown there were several cobblers within walking distance of the office. The location was great because the business district was filled with traditional Oxford shoes who's only real weakness was the leather soles, a good cobbler could keep them looking good for years on end. I think I still have several pair in my closet with their 2nd or 3rd soles.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

There is a great cobbler in Boston. I had a beloved pair of short black dress boots that I put new heels on so many times, and soles once. They finally got kind of worn inside too, and that is when I retired them. I sure got my money's worth from those boots!
    Now that I am a retiree who dresses uber casual, I'm afraid I will not be bringing much business to a cobbler.

My shoes now run to purple Crocs (no one at work bats an eye at them!), Teva sandals, or Merrell lace up hiking shoes.

My favorite shoes right now are Sketchers. Yeah, I know... one of my kids teases me all the time. But I like them!!! LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information