Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scale of one to ten.....

Happystuff: Is your number so low because of your new job?
    Pinkytoe: I'm guessing your number is low because DH won't get the vaccine?

I was going to say 9, but maybe 8 is more realistic. I'm still wearing masks into stores, and although that doesn't faze me, it certainly isn't something I did pre-Covid. Social gatherings are less common, but that's pretty OK with me. Library will open for in-person visits on 6/7, so not quite normal there yet. No plays or concerts on the near horizon, so that's really what made me decide to go with 8 rather than 9. We had concert tickets for 3/2020, and the date got pushed up again and again, and now it's on for 10/2021, and I think it will actually happen. I'm really really REALLY hoping for carpentry classes to resume this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Happystuff: Is your number so low because of your new job?
    Pinkytoe: I'm guessing your number is low because DH won't get the vaccine?

I was going to say 9, but maybe 8 is more realistic. I'm still wearing masks into stores, and although that doesn't faze me, it certainly isn't something I did pre-Covid. Social gatherings are less common, but that's pretty OK with me. Library will open for in-person visits on 6/7, so not quite normal there yet. No plays or concerts on the near horizon, so that's really what made me decide to go with 8 rather than 9. We had concert tickets for 3/2020, and the date got pushed up again and again, and now it's on for 10/2021, and I think it will actually happen. I'm really really REALLY hoping for carpentry classes to resume this fall.
    That is my experience as well. Metopera is postponed but only until this fall, Shaw Festival is very limited and may be postponed since the actors cannot gather to rehearse, Stratford Festival in the same situation. I signed an online petition this morning appealing the restrictions on rehearsals and such limitations in Ontario.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yes. The old job was my "normal" for 16 years, so losing it due to covid means that "normal" is gone forever. The new job is so different in so many ways and has had life changing effects that I'm still working out. So covid or not, I am still working on a new normal.

2 it is.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

On a daily basis I’d say 8 or 9. I still wear a mask everywhere and haven’t been on a plane yet. But beyond that things are pretty normal. Everyone I know is vaccinated. We went to an indoor party. We’ve done indoor dining. My sister was just here to visit. I even took transit for the first time a few weeks ago when I had to take my car to the shop.

Yes, my normal will be slow to return as DH won't get vaccinated. It will make everything harder to figure out that we might do as a couple in the outside world.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Yes, my normal will be slow to return as DH won't get vaccinated. It will make everything harder to figure out that we might do as a couple in the outside world.
    My DH is not vaccinated either.

I just remind him that he has to wear The Mask in places where it is required, he has to remind people (friends) he is not vaccinated for indoor socializing, and we get on with life. I am not finding it to be a big life limitation.

Probably an 8 here as well.

We are now on a pretty regular schedule with our kids and grandkids. A few weeks ago we hosted a get-together of college friends we hadn't seen in person since before lockdown in honor of another college friend visiting from out of state but we're all old enough to have been vaccinated or to be able to lie convincingly about having been.

This past weekend we attended a dance for the first time in 14-15 months. I don't recall anyone wearing a mask though members of that group are either old enough to have sought out the vaccine early or are too loyal to ever get it. The only concession to the pandemic besides a cheery "Masks optional!" on the invitation was that treats were individually wrapped. That's hygiene theater but we're going to see a lot of that moving forward, I believe.

We're still wearing masks indoors in public since restrictions have not been done away with completely. It's new and a bit unsettling to see people just walk into stores without masks on after a year of seeing them pretty much everywhere. I haven't ordered groceries for pickup in weeks. Shopping is less of a rescue mission than it used to be (go to a non-busy store, quickly choose the items I need, pay, leave). I still will pick up an item wherever I am, though, rather than make a separate stop to buy the variety or brand I really want; I'm not sure if that will go away because it saves time for me and miles on the car.

Several stores still have spots marking six foot intervals and one-way indicators on aisles. My regular drug store is still takeout/delivery only. I don't think the plastic barriers that went up around cash registers all over will ever come down. On the other hand, I don't think order pickup at almost every store will ever go away either, and I'm pleased that so many companies have beefed up their Web sites and inventory management that they can tell you exactly which products are in a particular store so you don't waste your time going there and hoping.

And re-entry has proved to be a good opportunity to retreat from some obligations that I just didn't care for much. It's the old decluttering rule: if I didn't need it in a year, do I need it in my life at all? It's become more acceptable socially to attend to one's own mental health, even if that means forgoing an occasion because the week has been too busy. It's okay now to offer a more accurate portrayal of your life than "Good! Good! Everything's good!"

It's taken a little time to get over the "you had a whole year to do <fill-in-the-blank> and you didn't" but it's not like we knew from the outset we would have a year; the time was parceled out in four- and six-week intervals, which made it harder to do longer-term planning. Among the pandemic, local social unrest, and having to deal with mental illness in high political offices, sometimes just getting through the day was enough. Reading the classics or landscaping the yard could wait for another day. Now we can think about doing things differently.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Steve, that is an interesting observation about treating events and obligations with the one year rule: If you didn’t miss it or need it within the past year, you probably don’t need to do the event/obligation now.

My many garden clubs are concerned about that, as they were already dying organizations. Some of them have been active virtually, some not at all. Some with an in person outdoorEvent or two over the past year.

I think we will see an element of people rushing to want to socialize due to pent-up demand. I also think we will see an element of what you talk about, people dropping out of activities because they were lukewarm about them to begin with and now find they did not miss the acrivities.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-1-21 at 1:06pm.

5, maybe 6. Still working from home full time and hating it, although even if my office were to reopen I likely would not return yet. (Since I'm hoping to retire soon, I may never return.)

No longer conducting a risk/benefit analysis every time I go to the store, and I have gone out just to pick up single items. Last week went to the public library just to browse instead of using pickup.

Last week had lunch outdoors with a friend whom I hadn't seen since the before the pandemic. First face-to-face social contact since last October, when I helped some friends move.

Still wary of returning to the gym. Exercise continues to be outdoor walking.

Still masking (actually double masking, which is no more trouble) whenever indoors. Probably unnecessary since I've been fully vaxxed, but a minor inconvenience.

Catching up on some medical testing that I'd put off for a few months. This includes getting treatment for a severe depression, a problem which has been building for a number of months.

Stores here have signs up that if you are vaccinated no masks needed so very few people are wearing them.

Thread Information