Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New couch? Was $698 but now is $2598 due to tariffs

New couch? Was $698 but now is $2598 due to tariffs

Are you hearing about the impact of these tariffs?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/fur...iffs-1.6043863

Quotes:
    "On May 5, the federal government imposed tariffs of up to 295 per cent on imported upholstered furniture from Vietnam and China. With three furniture stores across Vancouver Island, Dodd says the impact on his business, which employs roughly 80 people, was almost immediate.

ANALYSISCanada and the U.S. put tariff threats on ice, but expect more trade uncertainty amid COVID-19.

He recalls a customer who came into one of his stores recently and tested out a recliner that was priced at $698. "If they come to my store today, it's going to be $2,598," he said. "It's not affordable."

Ottawa imposed tariffs after a half dozen Canadian furniture producers complained that products from Vietnam and China were being dumped into Canada at prices that were wildly uncompetitive."

I was complaining to DD2 that the quality of furniture is so poor. Both she and her DH are frustrated with how quickly their sofas and stuffed chairs sag. Are they imported?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

We purposely ordered and paid for US made furniture when our sectional gave up the ghost. We ordered what we wanted and waited for it to be made and delivered. That was about 7y ago ???

The husband of a friend of mine is a furniture designer and does furniture made in China.

The US has anti dumping duties on certain furniture out of China.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    We purposely ordered and paid for US made furniture when our sectional gave up the ghost. We ordered what we wanted and waited for it to be made and delivered. That was about 7y ago ???
    I think I buy U.S. made couches as well, but am not sure. I do order snd wait many weeks foe them to be made.

I will be buying a slew of couches (4) in the next 18 months so I do not know if I can keep them all U.S. based. I’m looking at couple of fairly inexpensive daybed/couches so those are probably made in China.

I bought my last set of large arm chairs from Joybird because they had a very particular color, a hot pink that no one else carried. I figured they were made in the U.S. but I just looked it up and they’re made in Mexico even though it is a US-based company. Well at least they are made in the Americas.

The last stove I bought for my condo is made in Pennsylvania.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-1-21 at 1:22am.

The loveseat I bought was not only made in the U.S. but here and i paid "wildly noncompetitive prices", the manufacturing here has since gone out of business, before covid (honesty they were never trying to compete in the cheap market, many people have money). But it's just real sad. Enjoy your cheap @#$# made in china.
    Trees don't grow on money

We tried to buy US but have had a huge headache. Warranty service on Lazboy (made in TN) is a total joke. 5 visits, each taking over 1.5 months to schedule, two sets of parts ordered and two totally blown off confirmed appointments and the chair is not fixed.

Facebook has over 1,000 disgruntled customers. BBB has over 500 complaints and the company has a rating of 1 out of 5. Particle board is used now instead of hardwood. Quality control is gone. Wait times are now 7-12 months no matter what the "store" tells you. Even the corporate office will not guarantee any delivery date on replaced furniture deliveries.

My next furniture will probably be Amish made from Northern IN. May not be exactly what I want for style but it will be well made of hardwoods and from the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    We tried to buy US but have had a huge headache. Warranty service on Lazboy (made in TN) is a total joke. 5 visits, each taking over 1.5 months to schedule, two sets of parts ordered and two totally blown off confirmed appointments and the chair is not fixed.

Facebook has over 1,000 disgruntled customers. BBB has over 500 complaints and the company has a rating of 1 out of 5. Particle board is used now instead of hardwood. Quality control is gone. Wait times are now 7-12 months no matter what the "store" tells you. Even the corporate office will not guarantee any delivery date on replaced furniture deliveries.

My next furniture will probably be Amish made from Northern IN. May not be exactly what I want for style but it will be well made of hardwoods and from the USA.
    Even furniture coming from the Far East has ridiculous lead times right now. Materials for US made furniture are scarce. Appliances have a long lead time, too.

I've gotten a little picky about furniture quality and the use of mystery woods from who knows where. I have a couple of pieces from Room and Board. They are a little pricey, but they identify where furniture was made and what materials are used. Not long ago I wanted a couple of side chairs to match my mid-modern dining table and went to Scandinavian Designs. I turned over or otherwise determined country of origin. All of their selections were ironically from Mexico, India or China, but found one pair marked Denmark.

I bought new appliances and furniture and had no trouble getting them. Some of the furniture I looked at wasn’t in stock until august so I didn’t consider them.

Thread Information