Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Republicans double down on violence as the solution

Not to be outdone, Trump advisor General Michael Flynn endorsed a military coup at a QAnon-related event:
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/151196...-coup-america/

His spokesperson has denied he said it, but there's video, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I think they should have died as they breached the building, but that's just me.
    I think the shooting of Ashley Babbit cooled them down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Of course he’s not going to go all second amendment on anyone. Just like Donald trump wasn’t going to personally storm the halls of Congress to overturn the election. It’s much easier, and personally safer, to encourage others to do it. That’s the unamerican Republican way.
    Isn't that the very definition of stochastic terrorism?

Everyone should be able to defend themselves in court. Even the traitors from January sixth serve that. Since Trump encouraged them to do what they did if he were honorable he’d offer to pay their defense instead of lining his bank account with donations raised off their backs.
    There seems to be a small contingent of Republican congress officials who claim the assault on the Capitol was little more than a normal tourist visit. At least that's the news spin on their comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    There seems to be a small contingent of Republicans who claim the assault on the Capitol was little more than a normal tourist visit. At least that's the news spin on their comments.
    Well, to be fair, my grandfather was a tourist in Berlin in 1945...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Maybe they could just help set up funds and contribute their own money to cover bail and legal fees for whatever violence and mahem they might inspire. Democrats seem to approve of that.
    You are confused. That was trump that did that in his rallies.

I think they should have died as they breached the building, but that's just me.
    They would hesitate to try it again if that had happened in mass.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    They would hesitate to try it again if that had happened in mass.
    While that would certainly have made the future less worrisome I would rather not that we take shortcuts in our justice system like that. If we take shortcuts like that with traitors it will become all too easy to use shortcuts against lesser criminals. Or even non criminals.

Personally I’d be more happy if Congress would set up a commission to figure out what happened, who told who to do what, etc. But for some reason that seems to be a controversial idea among a large minority in both houses. I wonder what they are afraid will be revealed?

While that would certainly have made the future less worrisome I would rather not that we take shortcuts in our justice system like that.
    I don't think it is a "shortcut" if you simply slay them as they are attempting to break into the Senate chamber and hunt down our lawmakers. The Capitol Police and/or National Guard should have been there armed for bear. Perhaps their simple presence might have calmed things down.

I used to every day ride past a fence marked "use of lethal force authorized inside" - sure kept me on my side of the fence, and hesitant to take the short-cut through the facility....

The problem is you have a political party, that is a political party, usually centrist, doesn't seem to stand for much forcefully, beholden to corporate money, but a political party willing to at least go through the motions of democracy nontheless. And then you have what may have once been a political party but now seems intent on overtaking democratic (small d) government via various coups of various means.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information