Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Republicans double down on violence as the solution

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    You are confused. That was trump that did that in his rallies.
    No, I'm not confused, Trump did make an offer to pay legal fees but I don't think he ever did. We all knew about that one because the media ate it up and reminded us of it day after day. I was referring to Kamala Harris using Twitter and Facebook to promote the Minnesota Freedom Fund's efforts to bail out rioters and looters, as well as the fact that at least 13 Biden staffers contributing to the fund. I think that's not nearly as well known since it happened during campaign season and media being reluctant to do their duty because, well, they had an election to win.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    The problem is you have a political party, that is a political party, usually centrist, doesn't seem to stand for much forcefully, beholden to corporate money, but a political party willing to at least go through the motions of democracy nontheless. And then you have what may have once been a political party but now seems intent on overtaking democratic (small d) government via various coups of various means.
    Well said. As far as I can see, all today's Republican politicians stand for is greed and unchecked power. They've long since replaced their old shibboleths--law and order, family values, the rule of law--with a no excuse or apology necessary naked power grab. General Michael Flynn is saying the quiet part out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    No, I'm not confused, Trump did make an offer to pay legal fees but I don't think he ever did. We all knew about that one because the media ate it up and reminded us of it day after day. I was referring to Kamala Harris using Twitter and Facebook to promote the Minnesota Freedom Fund's efforts to bail out rioters and looters, as well as the fact that at least 13 Biden staffers contributing to the fund. I think that's not nearly as well known since it happened during campaign season and media being reluctant to do their duty because, well, they had an election to win.
    This made me laugh. In a rueful way.

No, I'm not confused, Trump did make an offer to pay legal fees but I don't think he ever did.
    Heck, apparently Trump is famous for not even paying his own legal fees :-)

Is your concern with the Minnesota Freedom Fund generally or is it with Biden Staffers supporting a cause that they believe in.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Is your concern with the Minnesota Freedom Fund generally or is it with Biden Staffers supporting a cause that they believe in.
    Oh, I don't have a problem with anarchists collectively supporting each other, I just think it's interesting to see the different responses to it from the media and others who seem to believe that violence and mayhem are good when their ideological cousins do it but bad when the neighbors do the same. We used to have satirists who would have a field day with that sort of thing, I wonder what happened to them?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Oh, I don't have a problem with anarchists collectively supporting each other, I just think it's interesting to see the different responses to it from the media and others who seem to believe that violence and mayhem are good when their ideological cousins do it but bad when the neighbors do the same. We used to have satirists who would have a field day with that sort of thing, I wonder what happened to them?
    There is a general level of discomfort and concern in the standup comedy world right now about this very thing. Comics are observing a serious lack of ability in their audiences to poke fun at themselves and others, to find comedy in our human activities these days. Drawing immediate lines in the sand of thought, identifying wholey with an idea, thinking in black and white—that’s what is going on.

Comics tend to run left liberal so if they are concerned, that means we have a problem.

Am I an anarchist or communist now? It's all so confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Am I an anarchist or communist now? It's all so confusing.
    I think if you self identify as part of a collective, you're a communist. If you spend your days trying to force me to join you through violence and mayhem, you're an anarchist. I suspect you're neither.

Thread Information