Thread: Instagram Famous

Instagram Famous

I just read that there are 140 million people on Instagram with over 100,000 followers. How can that be? Apparently there are bot services that can provide you with any number of fake followers. Why someone would pay to fake fame is a puzzlement to me.

I have a hard enough time dealing with email, online interests and text messages plus Zoom and Facetime activities. I cannot imagine adding all the extra stuff from others including TikTok, Instagram and Twitter.
    What a mass of time involved!
    Use of bots is like false news, it seems.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I just heard some Instagram statistics on Joe Rogan show and I’m paraphrasing but it was something like a tiny percentage of the population have IG accounts, and then an even smaller percentage actually post things. Wait, maybe that was about Twitter...ok, Twitter it was.

I hate-follow an “influencer “ who has less than 1000 followers on IG, her main platform. She does not pay for followers however. Another true “influencer” who I semi-hate follow does have a quarter of a million followers, and her loyal hate group Catalogs every instance of her buying a swath of followers, noticeable because her numbers go up and down in large chunks.

Then, many of the influencers especially the Mormon mommy influencers, “tag “and “like “and “follow “one another which all gets their numbers and engagement up.

Our neighborhood association has a finger in all those digital platforms but we hit Facebook, IG, and Nextdoor the most often. Twitter is fairly useless for us. We also have a website, and we publish a quarterly newspaper delivered free to the doors of residents and lately have started up a quarterly newsletter going outside our neighborhood.

it is all about promotion. We have something to promote, IMHO. Most of the “influencers” do not.

People use botnets to build up followers, to make fake profiles to catfish people.

"Influencers" make me roll my eyes so hard I fear they'll get stuck, so I avoid them. Especially the mommy wars and fashion victim ones.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    "Influencers" make me roll my eyes so hard I fear they'll get stuck, so I avoid them. Especially the mommy wars and fashion victim ones.
    This is why they are fun to hate-watch. They provide entertainment, but not in the way they intend.

Nope - no instagram or twitter or anything else. I have facebook that I tend to forget about even logging on so usually have my account locked and it just takes too much rig-a-ma-role to get it unlocked. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information