Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Number One Health Discovery

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA

Your Number One Health Discovery

Have you ever had an "a-ha" moment or revelation about your personal well-being--whether it's physical, mental or spiritual?

I'll start. Mine has been that I'm more content, in a better mood and I sleep better when I've walked a couple of miles in the outdoors. Seems simple--but its effect on my well-being is profound.

And secondly, I've found that consuming too much sugar makes my minor arthritis flare.

What about you?

What have you discovered on your voyage to well-being?
    peaceful, easy feeling

I have been having some health issues lately and tests showed nothing obvious. Once again I realize how much a part our mental health plays in our physical health. The things that bother us can cause very real physical ailments.

I've learned that alcohol increases my resting heart rate and decreases my heart rate variability. I've cut way back on alcohol because I figure having a high heart rate is like having high mileage on your car. I would prefer an old car with low mileage.

Being in nature lowers my heart rate.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Neat thread!
    Aside from the need for getting outside every day as mentioned by others, mine is a mental approach to life of ongoing gratitude.
    This is often for the simple things in life - safe water in my tap, the smile and kindness of others which I acknowledge and reciprocate, beauty visible when out walking my dog like the bluebells and return of birdsong in spring. Each day can be magical if we consciously look for it, I have found; I am so much happier when the negative mental chatter is rejected and replaced with what is the ongoing good .
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej
    Oh boy are medications bad for you. I doubt there is one without side effects. I have seen firsthand the problems my mother has had from being prescribed various medications, some for years when it was later found out they should not be taken for more than a few weeks. They messed up her gut among other things and she almost died and had to have a blockage in her intestine removed.

By contrast my father has refused to take anything and doesn't even go for annual physicals lest something be recommended and is in much better shape.

I myself don't take any prescriptions though sometimes I take an OTC Benadryl to fall asleep. I am trying to manage my caffeine addiction to minimize that. Overall I am in good health and feel the less medical care the better. Even non drug procedures like mammograms expose you to radiation. But my company makes me go for an annual physical every two years to pay a lower premium rate, so I am constantly discussing with doctors why I don't want this or that. I haven't had blood tests in years, because I figure the only point of them is to try to prescribe you something and I feel fine.

So my discovery is if it ain't broke don't fix it, and even if it is broke beware the proposed fix. I have cleared up some things like last winter's mask-induced eczema on my own with nonpharmaceutical self-care methods I found online.

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Aside from the need for getting outside every day as mentioned by others, mine is a mental approach to life of ongoing gratitude.
    This is often for the simple things in life - safe water in my tap, the smile and kindness of others which I acknowledge and reciprocate, beauty visible when out walking my dog like the bluebells and return of birdsong in spring. Each day can be magical if we consciously look for it, I have found; I am so much happier when the negative mental chatter is rejected and replaced with what is the ongoing good .
    Such a positive, happy outlook! I, too, try to acknowledge, reciprocate and even initiate the smile and kindness to others. And, as others have stated, simply being outside and in nature is a huge plus in all around mental, physical and psychological well-being.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I have been walking daily for 35 years and it really makes me feel good. Since I lost 33lbs since august and quit drinking my blood pressure has been awesome. I was able to get off one of my medications. I am grateful for my medications because between the HBP, too fast erratic heartbeat and asthma I developed at age 50 I would be dead. I nearly died and was hospitalized at that time. It’s nice not to be wearing masks because I can smile at people and see their smile.

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I have been walking daily for 35 years and it really makes me feel good. Since I lost 33lbs since august and quit drinking my blood pressure has been awesome. I was able to get off one of my medications. I am grateful for my medications because between the HBP, too fast erratic heartbeat and asthma I developed at age 50 I would be dead. I nearly died and was hospitalized at that time. It’s nice not to be wearing masks because I can smile at people and see their smile.
    That's a wonderful testimony to walking--good for you!! How much do you walk? Secrets to your weight loss?? Pls. share...I've packed on some Covid weight and am wanting to take action to send it away!
    peaceful, easy feeling

I used to walk 4-6 miles a day. Now it’s only 2. I eat 1600 calories a day 6 days a week. One day a week I eat what I want. It doesn’t allow my body to think I am starving and lower my metabolism because of not doing the same thing every day. 5 years ago I lost 17lbs and kept it off. Now my weight is within the normal range.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I used to walk 4-6 miles a day. Now it’s only 2. I eat 1600 calories a day 6 days a week. One day a week I eat what I want. It doesn’t allow my body to think I am starving and lower my metabolism because of not doing the same thing every day. 5 years ago I lost 17lbs and kept it off. Now my weight is within the normal range.
    Interesting to read. I have a covid bulge to get rid of as well.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information