Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: June Frugals

Speak of 5-gal buckets, a few years ago my husband was working on a project, re-shingling the gazebo roof. He kept his tools for the project in a dedicated bucket for the duration of the project, which I dubbed his project bucket. I had one too for my painting outdoor furniture project. It was very convenient.

Yppej
    I am working on getting an excise tax abatement for the lemon car I drove less than 24 hours and had legal possession of for less than a week. I am pretty sure I will have to pay some minimum amount.

Also had a rock hit my windshield and I figured although the chip was small why not get it repaired since I have a $0 deductible glass coverage. Well the repair made it worse so I am working on a replacement and Safelite is saying they can't guarantee they can transfer over the inspection sticker and I might have to pay $35 for a new state inspection. (In my state the station can't just print you a new sticker.) I am checking with the dealership which is also an inspection station (which Safelite is not) to see can they do better and also handle all the insurance paperwork for me. They sub out their glass work so I don't know how complicated that might be.

So free might not be free, not to mention 3 hours out of my day to get the job done since the car has to be recalibrated so the lane assist camera works with the new windshield. And there's driving time and gas to and from the shop since the mobile unit can't recalibrate, not to mention hours on the phone already with Safelite waiting for and speaking with their incompetent call center who are in Arizona, have no sense of New England geography, and keep trying to schedule me far from home. Every person also has a different story about when the OEM glass will be in too from it's in stock to next week to 7 business days to we don't know as there are production delays due to covid. I should have just left the chip and seen if I could still pass inspection next April with it.

Yppej
    They abated my tax on the lemon in full.

The dealership never got back to me but I was able to reach the Safelite shop and they said the sticker language is generic but in Massachusetts it is possible to transfer the sticker. I will bring a blow dryer with me as I read that can help loosen up the sticker if need be.

While at the drivethru at the bank I saw a big canister of pens inside on the counter customers come up to and asked were they giving them away and they gave me two.

Not sure where/how I originally found this, but here is a video on how to make a rolling compost container out of two 5 gallon buckets and 3 lids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Nk3ciLis
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Happystuff, that was so cool to see. We just dump ours in the garden plot, but i am looking to get tidier about it, so this might be an option. Thanks for sharing it!

Quick easy grocery shop and just $50 spent. I leave Tuesday and hubster has enough food for my 2 week absence. Mostly frozen berries for his breakfast yogurt and fresh fruit, a small piece of ham he wanted and some frozen veg. Monday night I'll make him a big pan of cauliflower fried rice and he'll have 4-6 lunches for work depending on his appetite.

Our CSA has been gigantic! I'll need to spend some time tomorrow cooking down greens for vacuum packing and we'll have fresh frozen veggies in December

Yppej
    My last pedicure was not done well so I decided to pass on another one, managed to get all the gel off, and applied some polish I have at home. I destroyed my good emery board but can get another one for a couple bucks, a lot cheaper than the cost of a professional pedicure.

Yppej
    I needed a new mop. Last time I got one at Dollar Tree for $1 but you know that deal was too good to last. Family Dollar wanted $9.98 but I found one at Walmart for $4.97. Also got some generic Magic Erasers for about half the price Market Basket charges for their generic.

Yppej
    June will come in under budget but depending when I get home repairs done and how much they cost other months may not, which would blow my goal of staying on budget eight or more months this year. For instance, next month I have quarterly real estate taxes so anything else big will blow the budget. I already lost three months to computer, car repairs, hot water heater, and new car. If I miss my annual goal I will make it a resolution for next year. Trying again is better than giving up.

Got some nice scores at the thrift store Sunday. For less than $30, I got 3 pairs of shorts for DH that all looked to be brand new, plus a really nice long dress for myself. I love the dress and could even wear it to a dressed-up occasion if life should inflict one upon me, lol. The dress was only $4.49!
    I also gave DH his monthly haircut. I'm so much faster and more confident with this than I was a year ago.

Thread Information