Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why every statue should come down

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Yes it is public art. That’s what the Victorians liked. Just because these Victorian statues are more recent than the David statue doesn’t make them any less Art. They may be less important art, but they are still Art with a capital A.
    Being art, is subject to interpretation, IMHO. To me statues are just big pieces of concrete/marble/bronze, etc, that are a memorial to an idea of someone that meant something to them, but to me, are just places for pigeons to sit (or spelled a bit different).
    They are much a remembrance of time in the same way their subject matter is a remembrance of time.

Being British equestrian statues, I would not be surprised to see someone saying Camilla Parker Bowles could have been placed under the queen mother.

Harriet Hosmer is an artist and an amazing individual. Thanks for sharing that.

I saw a bronze statue https://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-f...-image32508966 of Don Quixote on a horse accompanied by Sancho Panza in Madrid. The emotions
    that all the figures conveyed were quite amazing. There was no person commemorated as much an image of the imagination. That is art to me.
    That is why I have a hard time with removing all statues. Some are just ego trips, some are extraordinary works and some do just support pigeons. I don't agree with throwing the 'baby out with the bath water' so would struggle with decisions made to remove all statues.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

The first thing our city’s first female mayor did, about 4 years ago, was to put to bed the conflict about a monument in our biggest city park. The mo I ent was erected by the daughters of men who died fighting for the South in our War between the States (American Civil War.).

I personally didn’t care if the monuments stayed or went, but because it was a continuing issue of contention, I was glad to see it go. My main concern in its disposal was where is it going? Will it be preserved? And yes, it went to the organization that handles war artifacts it is museum. , I don’t think it will be assembled for quite a while if ever in my lifetime, but at least the pieces are all in one place. And if someone wants to donate a ton of money to put it together in a permanent place, they can do that.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    On this one I tend to pull out a rare conservative card. I believe it's in society's best interest to leave statues standing - no matter how repulsive one finds the one commemerated. If Auschwitz can remain standing as a warning of how dark human nature can be - statues in the US can stand, too. It's not like bulldozing them will rewrite history. Rob

Without statues, this wouldn't have happened:

https://ebth-com-production.imgix.ne...p=&auto=format

They can melt down all the typical statues to make plowshares, for all I care, but I do rather like Portland's Joan of Arc.

Rob, I totally agree with you. I went to auschwitz and it was powerful. I had a panic attack but was determined to finish the tour and the only way to describe what I felt is that I felt like I could feel the people’s souls.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    On this one I tend to pull out a rare conservative card. I believe it's in society's best interest to leave statues standing - no matter how repulsive one finds the one commemerated. If Auschwitz can remain standing as a warning of how dark human nature can be - statues in the US can stand, too. It's not like bulldozing them will rewrite history. Rob
    Auschwitz is not in the middle of the town square, where the few remaining Jews, the homosexuals, the Romani, and the other oppressed folks have to walk past every single day.

The Civil-War-Hero honoring statues were put up in prominent public places to subjugate the unruly and remind them of their place(*). They are more akin to putting up statues of Hitler in the middle of town 40 years after the war than to Auschwitz.

Remove them to a sculpture museum.

(*) See also "current wave of efforts to suppress voting..."

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    ? What happened here
    Oops wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Auschwitz is not in the middle of the town square, where the few remaining Jews, the homosexuals, the Romani, and the other oppressed folks have to walk past every single day.

The Civil-War-Hero honoring statues were put up in prominent public places to subjugate the unruly and remind them of their place(*). They are more akin to putting up statues of Hitler in the middle of town 40 years after the war than to Auschwitz.

Remove them to a sculpture museum.

(*) See also "current wave of efforts to suppress voting..."
    Everything old is new again--Jim Crow, fascism, the robber barons, keep reappearing like noxious weeds and have to be beaten back, apparently.

Good point Bae. Museums appear to be the best solution.

Thread Information