Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thank you and other notes

thank you and other notes

Just got the nicest thank you note from my nephew for his wedding gift. In a time when many young people seem to neglect to do this, this really, really meant a lot of me and my husband and brightened my day. I will be keeping this one in my memorabilia collection--I have enjoyed reading such notes that my dad wrote in the 1940's, or letters my mom wrote in the 60's.

Does anyone else cherish their thank you notes?

Yes, and frankly, I've heard from some younger gen people that writing thank you notes is "so yesterday"--so it makes it particularly noteworthy that your nephew had the thoughtfulness to write you one! My DIL has a postcard collection and she always jots little "thinking of you" notes and sends them off. That is also mind-boggling to me--I admit that I am not that great at the old-fashioned notes--I do the email/textmessage thing, but I really appreciate those who go the extra step to write out a card and mail it. Good for your nephew!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

No.

Of course if there is a sentiment written that is interesting I value it somewhat. But I haven’t received one of those in forever.

Thank you notes pretty much smell like the heavy hand of obligation to me.

I have more fun writing them than receiving them. I do not write them for gifts since …do I get any? Don’t think so…but I write them for hobby group volunteers for an effort they have made, a taks performed, an obligation fulfilled.

I love sending them and receiving them as I would a bouquet of flowers. It took thought and effort to make it happen. I choose not to disparage any such effort by saying it was done as a 'duty' but rather as a lovely thought brought to life.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I love sending them and receiving them as I would a bouquet of flowers. It took thought and effort to make it happen. I choose not to disparage any such effort by saying it was done as a 'duty' but rather as a lovely thought brought to life.
    Well, I think it is cute when little kids do it. Duty, but still cute.

Make no mistake, I want to know that the object/gift was received in the rare times we send one, so an acknowledgement serves that purpose. I just don’t save the paper telling me of receipt since I view that largely as a business transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

Make no mistake, I want to know that the object/gift was received in the rare times we send one, so an acknowledgement serves that purpose. I just don’t save the paper telling me of receipt since I view that largely as a business transaction.

But it was not a business transaction. They asked for a certain thing in their registry, and I bought it for them, because it is an item that also happen to like a lot, and it meant a lot to me that he wrote and said they are already using them and really like them and they are happy. How is that a business transaction?

I think it's nice that they still care enough about us to inquire about our health and to share their happiness with us, and no, we were not invited to the wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yes, and frankly, I've heard from some younger gen people that writing thank you notes is "so yesterday"--so it makes it particularly noteworthy that your nephew had the thoughtfulness to write you one! My DIL has a postcard collection and she always jots little "thinking of you" notes and sends them off. That is also mind-boggling to me--I admit that I am not that great at the old-fashioned notes--I do the email/textmessage thing, but I really appreciate those who go the extra step to write out a card and mail it. Good for your nephew!
    I used to do this with postcards, too, of places we had been together or lived--very fun, and thoughtful of her.

You are right, the nephew did good!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

My parents saved these thank you notes from my kids and I was just reading them--it was so sweet to see them, and they really reflected the different personalities, so as a mom, that was an unexpected and wonderful window into the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    But it was not a business transaction. They asked for a certain thing in their registry, and I bought it for them, because it is an item that also happen to like a lot, and it meant a lot to me that he wrote and said they are already using them and really like them and they are happy. How is that a business transaction?

I think it's nice that they still care enough about us to inquire about our health and to share their happiness with us, and no, we were not invited to the wedding.
    The business end of a social transaction then, for better wording. Specifically I refer to the notice that the gift was received—that is the practical purpose of a thank you note.there may be other aspects to such a note and in your case there WAS, aspects that you enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    IL can correct me if I'm incorrect but when I read "business transaction" I read "proof of delivery" just like I can get from UPS or USPS if I send something to someone. With no thank you note one might be uncertain that the gift actually was received by the intended recipient.

edited to add, I shouldn't click reply and then leave my computer for a lengthy period of time and then finish responding before checking to see if someone else also responded. IL answered with essentially my same answer in the meantime...

Thread Information