Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Contested guardianship

Yppej
    At least you all are only dealing with the dementia patient contesting reality. My mother is getting worse and lost all her keys. The response of my brother who lives with her and my dad was not, Maybe since you can't remember where you put your keys you shouldn't be driving. No, it's let's go make more copies of the keys. Since the keys could have been lost in the yard I suggested changing the locks but my idea was shot down. She lost the keys after driving to the store by herself. She likes to shop and doesn't want me or anyone else to shop for her, and neither of them like to shop. This is not going to end well.

The greatest invention of my retired life has been a lanyard for wearing my keys around my neck. I always know where they are. Except when I’m in the house or I put them in one of three places.

Lanyards are handy for phones, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    Lanyards are handy for phones, too.
    When I have to carry the damn phone I put it in my wallet which I carry in my armpit. It’s a big wallet. So my keys are around my neck, my wallet is under my arm, and when I’m shopping I have two hands free. It’s a sweet system and I think I will patent it..

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    When I have to carry the damn phone I put it in my wallet which I carry in my armpit. It’s a big wallet. So my keys are around my neck, my wallet is under my arm, and when I’m shopping I have two hands free. It’s a sweet system and I think I will patent it..
    If I were to shop, I'd deploy my phone to my crossbody and my keys to a pocket. I'm all for free hands, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    If I were to shop, I'd deploy my phone to my crossbody and my keys to a pocket. I'm all for free hands, too.
    Well sure, if I have pockets but 90% of the time I have no pockets. I don’t want pants with pockets, they gape open and I just do not like them.

At least you all are only dealing with the dementia patient contesting reality.
    I hope and pray that your family including you, your dad and brother will not go through the pain and trauma that Herbgeek and her family have gone through over these last few years and are now going through that has resulted in the hearing before a judge - a tragedy for any family that is struggling with such a situation.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Yppej, maybe you and brother and father could sit down and try to reach some consensus on what is happening with your mom and figure out where to go from here. If she is a danger driving, that is a bad situation, and you are right to be worried. It is also a difficult one to cope with if the parent insists they should still be driving.

It's also a good idea for you to figure out how much you want to be involved and what you are and are not willing to do. I wish I had done more of that over the past ten years.

herbgeek, I know you are probably still in a waiting mode, but hope you hear something soon.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Well sure, if I have pockets but 90% of the time I have no pockets. I don’t want pants with pockets, they gape open and I just do not like them.
    I can't have enough pockets--capacious ones, preferably. I'd have pockets in my underwear if they made those.

Thread Information