Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: June Purge

Yppej
    I have an annual goal for number of items to toss and I met it today for 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I have an annual goal for number of items to toss and I met it today for 2021.
    That is a good way to go about it. It wouldnt work for me, but I can see where it works for others.

My purge activity tends to be in a swath—clean out a drawer, a cabinet, a shelf at a time and that unit is what I “count” in my head.

I was more like IL when I had stuff to purge. I also like to do entire rooms and then be done by going at it for hours. With living alone I will never need to do that again. People say if you live with a hoarder you should never purge their junk. If I had not stayed on top of getting rid of some of the junk master’s stuff instead of taking a month working 10 hours a day it would have taken 6.

Speaking of purging, here’s something amusing that’s happening in my life: I seem to be buying physical books now.

For 30-40 years I was extremely careful about what books I a acquired because I didn’t want to become a general collector of books. I wanted each book to have meaning. And yes people give me books and those are less important by far but they didn’t amount to many.

So lately I’ve purchased two books, physical items. I bought them mainly to support the authors. And it is OK because I have a new idea about books and it’s very freeing: I can get rid of them any moment that I wish to get rid of them. It is no problem.

After going through the exercise of purging my important collection of children’s books, I know how to purge books! I have that mad skill set! Books can come live with me and they can leave with ease, it is not a problem!

I am no longer a keeper of books either. I read them and then give away. Mostly I buy the kindle version and read on my phone.

There are certain books that I am still holding onto - childhood favorites, out of publications, favorites, etc. I am, however, trying to get more kindle books than physical books simply for the "stuff" aspect.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

YAY!!!! Donation pickup done. Three big bags, 1 xerox box, and three plastic containers full of various clothing, books and other items - gone! Too many individual items to count, but was probably over 100. My donation corner is empty! Hmmm... I need a new collection box - LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Good for you, happystuff!! I got rid of two difficult things--my dad's graphing calculator and a book on baseball I had bought him that he was reading right before he died. I was driving by a town library rummage sale and I asked the guy to take them for the sale--I could not let go of them before, but Dad loved libraries and he would have liked the sale.

Yppej
    DS has still not wanted to celebrate Christmas with me. When I asked him in December he said I was nagging him. Finally he dumped some gifts for me in my room. What I gave him is still unopened on the family room floor. Given that he has now said our mother-son relationship is over I scratched one of the lottery tickets he gave me Friday, and have two others as well as some other things to go through. It is painful to acknowledge he doesn't want anything to do with me, so I am trying to remember that he felt differently when he bought these things, and to go through these things in that spirit.

Oh that sounds so painful. Just try to hang on, as this situation will change over the years with therapy and time, for both of you.

Thread Information