Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: It IS real.....

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Mschris, It sounds like your grandson is a go-getter and he will do fine. He is going to find his way.
    That was my first thought as well.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Looking only for the money is not the "best" use of his time. He should look for any and all training opportunities and continue that thruout his life. It would be great to be totally stable like in the 70s and 80s. Now you have to be prepared for change at any time. A portfolio of skills constantly updated is better than sitting and hoping one job in one company will last forever.
    I agree that money isn't the most important thing, but what work he can see doing long term.

But this portfolio of skills stuff this is basically what they told Gen X. Pounded into our brains. I don't really believe any of it. There may be no job security, but the rainbow skills unicorn we were all taught to chase, was just another myth. You think "oh I'm going to get hired on skills independent of industry". Well you could .. in theory ... if your industry went away, it's an option I guess. But it's actually very hard to get hired on that because unless your skills are very special indeed and almost noone else has them (and that is not most things), you are a dime a dozen. What people actually want is often industry specific knowledge. If all you have is skills you are more likely to land short term contract work than ever get a full time job. In fact contract work will probably build more skills as well. I certainly know very skilled contract workers doing that. Half the time they don't have healthcare coverage at all but being able to go to the doctor is a luxury that merely skilled people can not afford.

Besides continuing endless job hopping throughout your life is about like telling someone to casually date throughout their life and never get in a long term relationship. Ok if that's your thing more power to you, but really, that's really going to be a lifeplan? Some job hopping at 20 something is like dating around then, all to the good, but then one doesn't stay 20 something forever either.

Staying at a seemingly stable job at some point is probably the best bet financially. The thing is though that it's boring, it's like that affair you keep fantasizing about because you are bored with a long marriage. Yea you probably shouldn't have the affair, but with jobs you may just have to keep doing something new and job hopping to keep the boredom at bay to make life tolerable, but it is certainly no guarantee of any future stability, that's more likely found in staying somewhere.
    Trees don't grow on money

Skills don't matter much if you know the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I beg to differ. Someone with just a customs broker license but absolutely zilch experience in the industry is not going to get you anywhere. You need experience putting that knowledge to use. A ton of stuff in my industry is learned on the job. I’ve never handled pharmaceutical imports before. Coworker has one and I’m learning as he goes.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Looking only for the money is not the "best" use of his time. He should look for any and all training opportunities and continue that thruout his life. It would be great to be totally stable like in the 70s and 80s. Now you have to be prepared for change at any time. A portfolio of skills constantly updated is better than sitting and hoping one job in one company will last forever.

All those previous jobs taught him something.
    No where did I say he was looking only for the money, and in fact, he is not. He does, however, have a wife and 2yr old son, and they all like nice things, LOL

When he talks about his “skills” he’s referring to his outstanding mechanical aptitude and skills- he has been taking things apart and putting them back together since he was 2 yrs old. And he can draw a schematic of what he just did. He has had a side gig of making realistic looking props for movies/anime out of recycled materials for about 10 years now; he has been well-compensated for that. His computer skills are stellar, and he literally Loves to learn new programs. He is an excellent communicator, and a very good sales person. He likes to work on a team, but be accountable for a clearly defined part. He has not had any trouble getting a job, he is a go-getter with a high energy level and high integrity.

I expect that he’s talking to his next boss as I type this.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post

However while he may make a good salary, there is a LOT of cost in the tools and equipment he will be expected to supply of his own, and then there will be the shop equipment …
    No.

Some how, I guess, I failed to make clear that this job is working as a technician for an international automobile manufacturer inside a specific dealership. They have a state-of-the-art repair facility. They provide all tools, etc. They also train their own people, because, hey, no one else does what they do. Hence, the prerequisite of being “willing and able to learn” and “follow procedures.”

Besides, he already learned the tool buying lesson with the carpentry union.

Bae, Although I hate what Seattle has become, if you could Rick Roll a particular on air personality who complains non stop about Seattle but never offers to step up to the plate to help, that would be awesome . He's on from 12-3 and comes "from the mean streets of Ballard" Just kidding

When responses are made they are only based on the tone and words and interpretation made by the reader based on their own background and experiences.

My experience is that working for one company for a lifetime is now a dream for many reasons. My husband was laid off with 5,000 others in 2007 from a Fortune 500 company. The best thing a person can do is to become a valuable asset that is desirable to many employers and to keep up all possible skills. Even the "lowly" (sarcastic) skill of being a cashier can put food on the table. Carpentry is great to do on the side. Many income streams or possibilities will keep a family going in tough times.

Yppej
    Someone told my boss about a young guy working on a potato farm who wants a better job and he sent an application off to him.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    In some ways, I agree and in others ways I don't. I knew someone with regards to the custodial job I'm still trying for. After my 2nd interview today, I don't think that relationship will play any part in me getting or not getting the job. I think it DID get me the initial part-time summer gig at the same school last year! But not this potential full-time position.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information