Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: It IS real.....

I don't know if it was through Linkedin or what but my in box is being flooded with job offers. What a feast of opportunities. Too bad I'm not in the market for a job. My neighbor was just telling me that she has been approved to continue working from home and that her business is months behind in production. They can't get people hired.

For the first time in its history our local amusement park has had to reduce its operating hours due to not being able to find enough help.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

I have been meaning to ask Catherine how her son the waiter is doing. I would bet he’s getting job offers like crazy.
    Actually my son is in Nashville for a month to test the waters in the music scene. He's been playing open mics 3-4 nights a week, was offered a Showcase and has joined a songwriter's collective. He used his stimulus savings to pay for the trip. When he comes back he'll need to get a job, but I have a feeling he'll miss Nashville. We'll see where he lands, but you're right--he should be able to get a job very easily no matter where he winds up.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Catherine, that’s great that your son is trying for what he wants to do. I wish him the best of luck.

Have two people I know, who were let go due to age (never written up/warned, etc and ran the security). One found a job quickly, while the other, decided to take some time off, which worked out as he got to be there when his mom passed. LEO friend kept giving him job postings ($50K to sit in a guard shack and call the feds in the building if a problem). I couldn't believe what they were offering.
    Another guy we know, has been offering $20 an hour, for guys to mow lawns, with no takers. People in the KC metro area (especially my city), complaining because so many dining rooms are not open (and playing the, but everywhere is open card). So many not open, because they can't get enough help. Heck, we have two McDonalds that are drive through only.
    The whole thing is screwy.

Wonder how much is due to childcare issues? They were among the lowest paid employees prepandemic. We have seen ads for hiring bonus offers of up to $30,000 (actual ad) for employees in the nursing home business. Mom's assisted living next to her place cannot keep people in the food prep area. All these were low paid positions with high turnover prepandemic but at least they had applicants.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Wonder how much is due to childcare issues? They were among the lowest paid employees prepandemic. We have seen ads for hiring bonus offers of up to $30,000 (actual ad) for employees in the nursing home business. Mom's assisted living next to her place cannot keep people in the food prep area. All these were low paid positions with high turnover prepandemic but at least they had applicants.
    Some could be childcare but for more well paid jobs such as with my company?

Giving you three examples of a reason that people don't want these jobs. Abuse by customers is a really serious issue that no one is addressing.

At a local pizza supplier, a customer ranted and raved about his rights to not wear a mask in the store. He would have ordered online as I did and could have had the order delivered to his car for pick-up or to his home. The staff have to follow the law! I was exhausted just listening to him and other customers were getting annoyed at his abusive behaviour, the staff were apologizing to each of us for the situation. We were trying to support them.

At a local pharmacy, a long-term staff member that I chat with regularly as I pick my weekly milk supply advised that she has had it with abuse from customers. She fully understands that people are stressed due to the covid situation but to to take it out on staff is draining for all the staff and their morale. She is taking early retirement but may return when the public's frustrations abate. She loves her job, meeting with regulars and helping them but she said so many staff are totally beat at the end of each shift.

A small horticultural business offering really unique items and services was lamenting that customers come in, take a look and ask," is this all there is?" He got the impression that people were looking for a Disney-level experience in a garden as they were out for a drive and complaining that the business didn't deliver to their expectations. It is disheartening.

Local municipal employees receive complaints from the public because the grounds at a cemetery are not at the level of their perfect private lawns but the municipality facing huge expenses with covid services in health, alternate buildings, work schedules, etc., don't have the usual extra summer staff so do the best that they can with a skeleton crew. Budgets govern decisions. Complaining and grumbling to staff who are doing their best is draining.

Listen to SLF members who have posted about their experience with abuse at work and hear what they are saying.

Thanks to each and every member and worker who delivers a parcel to my home, carries my purchases curbside and answers my queries is key to my generally positive experience.

More that one person has said, " I don't need this ****". A worker is not someone who is available for another to abuse, no matter what work they do.

What covid has done is exposed how much we, the public, need every worker regardless of which field they work in.

There, I have now ranted on this topic because it has been concerning me for some time.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Time too open up The Wall and let the flood of immigrants in.

(Ducking for cover)

Well said, razz.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information