Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: It IS real.....

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    During Covid I tipped a couple times in amounts so large that my credit card company contacted me via auto contact, to see if I had really tipped that much.
    My son's "best tip" story was about a couple that sat in his section and he had just finished slicing bread and didn't realize he had cornstarch and crumbs on his black pants. He always says he can tell just from looking at his patrons what they're going to be like, and he wasn't getting a good feeling. So he went up and introduced himself as he usually does and right away they lambasted him, saying: "You're disgusting!"

He was dumbfounded for an instant and then tried to recoup and asked if there was anything he could get for him and she continued to attack him, mostly over his clothes being "crumby." His colleagues heard what was going on and offered to take the table.

"No," he said. "I've got this." His professionalism led him to take it on as a challenge to keep his feelings out of it and win them over.

I'm not sure what he did to serve them from that point on, but when they left, he picked up the receipt and on a $70 charge they had left him $140.00 tip.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I bet this doesn't happen so much in countries that has govt programs that paid people through their jobs to stay home during covid lockdowns, with a job to come back to. But no, we went for lay offs and unemployment, leading to much higher initial spikes in unemployment in the U.S., and now they can't just hire them all back as some have well and truly moved on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short-time_working
    Trees don't grow on money

One of my kids used to do delivery so they learned about tipping early on. I've always done at least 20%, if not more.
    Last edited by happystuff; 6-11-21 at 12:49pm.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    The boss said people still on unemployment with this many jobs around are not interested in working and he is going to carry job applications around with him and every time he goes to a store will try to lure the clerk to come work for us. He is going to give up on the requirement of experience in our industry. He said what is important is that the person is working because that shows they want to work.

People with something resembling an actual career (even if not absolutely fantastic) will want to work as money in the short term is not the thing (of course they work for money but whether they have it this month and next is REALLY not the thing - there exists a long term). What matters is time out of work counts as a negative to getting another job and that job and money WILL be needed AT SOME POINT*. So you don't screw up your resume with vast gaps unless you can't help it and have no luck finding appropriate work etc.. For some low paid minimum wage job, yea maybe noone cares that much about time out of work being a negative (or maybe they do). Of course it's jobs that actually pay one's bills well that one doesn't want to screw up, not stuff that never much will. "Oh great a minimum wage job that will never pay my bills, woopeee, I'll go just as bankrupt as I will unemployed, just a bit slower!!!"

* Now if childcare obligations make it impossible to work that's another issue, women will always pay in their careers for having kids, that's how it goes.
    Trees don't grow on money

Here in WA, starting July 4, the teat is empty. Unemployed will be required to show they are seeking employment to continue to receive benefits.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Gotta get those serfs back working in the fields!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Here in WA, starting July 4, the teat is empty. Unemployed will be required to show they are seeking employment to continue to receive benefits.
    I always had to keep track for IL. They never made the requirement go away!

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    The boss said people still on unemployment with this many jobs around are not interested in working at the wages he wants to pay for that job.
    There. Fixed it for ya (well, for him).

I'm guessing when Boss was hired he made sure he was offered the highest salary that could be offered for what he brought to the job. Seems he's forgotten that experience....
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    There. Fixed it for ya (well, for him).

I'm guessing when Boss was hired he made sure he was offered the highest salary that could be offered for what he brought to the job. Seems he's forgotten that experience....
    The boss took a pay cut when he joined the company because he was burnt out with what he was doing. There was no guarantee he would move up but he did. Since I came in October 4 of the 10 employees at my site have been promoted. It isn't always about money but opportunity to grow.

Thread Information