Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: It IS real.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

It IS real.....

The labor shortage, I mean. Despite a bit of a attempt to find emplyees blitz we are having hardly any applicants apply. I an doing nicely with the OT and am banking all I can away. I will confess to being a bit spooked by the pandemic and the events since March 2020 - who knows what's next? So I work and save all I can. Rob

We've had a terrible shortage here too.

We've had very few, especially viable, candidates apply for my job. I may end up just doing part-time. One of them could only work part-time.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

A couple weeks ago for my birthday we went to our local high-end restaurant. It was fairly early in the evening and it was probably Wednesday or Thursday, not their busy Friday Saturday.

They were not taking reservations or new customers for the evening because they didn’t have enough personnel working.

Tough business. After being closed down so long and losing so much revenue, now they’re losing revenue because they can’t fill and turn tables.

I have been meaning to ask Catherine how her son the waiter is doing. I would bet he’s getting job offers like crazy.

Yppej
    My store is also trying unsuccessfully to hire. We pay livable wages, have good benefits, and offer profit sharing, but do require experience.

Business at my new job is booming and we can’t find enough people either.

I'm getting unsolicited offers to clean AirBnB cabins for $45/hour! I'm helping a good friend of mine in the village run his sporting goods store an afternoon a week for $15/hour just to help out - he recruited half a dozen of us to sign up to sit there and sell fishing licenses to the tourists when they wander in.

I also just took a position as the on-call backup site technician for the large telecommunications facility on top of our mountain, mostly because I live within snowshoeing distance of it, and have an electrical engineering degree. That pays a lot more, when they call me. So, I think I now control the horizontal and vertical for most Seattle/PNW radio and TV stations, as all of their antennae and transmitters are at that site, as well as the secret squirrel Homeland Security stuff. This one I took because there was a desperate need, and it gets me the keys and codes to the entire huge park the site is located inside (which is most of the mountain), and permission to use the park at night for my photography. I do most of the search/rescue work in the park anyways, but I hated to overstep that permission for my own nefarious projects.

DGS just did an interview at a local restaurant near a major thruway and was hired but the starting date still has to be set. He had his first Pfizer jab this week with second scheduled before school starts in the fall.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

In my neck of the woods, bar owners are having a high turnover of waitstaff. In their view, standards must be maintained. They will hire freely, but if an employee is not able to perform up to standards, he or she is fired. There has been some grumbling from customers, disappointed with service or food preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'm getting unsolicited offers to clean AirBnB cabins for $45/hour! I'm helping a good friend of mine in the village run his sporting goods store an afternoon a week for $15/hour just to help out - he recruited half a dozen of us to sign up to sit there and sell fishing licenses to the tourists when they wander in.

I also just took a position as the on-call backup site technician for the large telecommunications facility on top of our mountain, mostly because I live within snowshoeing distance of it, and have an electrical engineering degree. That pays a lot more, when they call me. So, I think I now control the horizontal and vertical for most Seattle/PNW radio and TV stations, as all of their antennae and transmitters are at that site, as well as the secret squirrel Homeland Security stuff. This one I took because there was a desperate need, and it gets me the keys and codes to the entire huge park the site is located inside (which is most of the mountain), and permission to use the park at night for my photography. I do most of the search/rescue work in the park anyways, but I hated to overstep that permission for my own nefarious projects.
    Well, aren’t you in demand! That last sounds rather interesting.

Thread Information