Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non wifi security systems

Non wifi security systems

Anyone use this or have any idea how they work? Trying to figure out a way to leave for an extended period without having anyone come into the house.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Anyone use this or have any idea how they work? Trying to figure out a way to leave for an extended period without having anyone come into the house.
    My security person says it's either WIFI or Coax cable system.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    My security person says it's either WIFI or Coax cable system.
    Don’t know what this means?

Here is something I was looking at ..

https://gizbuyerguide.com/do-you-nee...urity-cameras/

Your insurance coverage might have restrictions on what is acceptable. My house always has someone enter every other day with neighbours monitoring the outside. She leaves a record of her visits.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

razz.. think US and Canada are different??

Are you actually talking SYSTEMS, or just camera's?
    They are two different things. A System encompasses much more, such as door and glass break censors, back up alarms, etc. etc.

razz.. think US and Canada are different??
    I don't know if the home insurance requirements are different in different countries. Others will know.

I checked with my insurance company when I toured the SW US for 3 weeks in 2019 and was advised to have in-house visits every other day.

The water was turned off, gas items disconnected where possible, periodic lighting came on so it all seemed a common sense approach to me. I didn't question it further.

I don't know about the different tech options today but don't trust them. Locally, we have had whole barns filled with animals burn down when monitored using extensive technology that failed due to power interruptions, etc. Automation has limitations. I believe that the insurance for such operations has changed significantly as well. Your home is not just your home but impacts and is impacted by your neighbourhood and its activities.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Are you actually talking SYSTEMS, or just camera's?
    They are two different things. A System encompasses much more, such as door and glass break censors, back up alarms, etc. etc.
    I am thinking about just security cameras where wifi is not needed.

Remember back when there used to be shows/info/etc. from burglars about the best protection from having your house robbed? I seem to recall that, back then, the #1 deterrent to burglars was a house with a non-wifi security system... a dog!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Remember back when there used to be shows/info/etc. from burglars about the best protection from having your house robbed? I seem to recall that, back then, the #1 deterrent to burglars was a house with a non-wifi security system... a dog!
    I think you may be right I don’t really know, but I can tell you that living as I do in the hood where criminals abound, I know these incidents intimately:

One. Our friends with four large dogs, I mean BIG dogs, were burglarized in the night. The dogs were off duty, lazy things. Everyone was up on the third floor sleeping with the air conditioner going. Dogs did not even stir.

two. Our house was burglarized with yapping dogs inside. They were, however, very small yapping dogs so perhaps the burglars could tell from the sound that these dogs were not threats. They were three Frenchies and I know two of them would have barked their heads off because they were brainless yappers, but my good Feenchie was probably quiet.

My “good “ Feenchie was the one in the room with the burgler, so she could identify him but she never gave him up.

three. Neighbor burglerized with medium size dog at home, she would have barked.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-12-21 at 2:23pm.

Thread Information