Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Non wifi security systems

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think you may be right I don’t really know, but I can tell you that living as I do in the hood where criminals abound, I know these incidents intimately:

One. Our friends with four large dogs, I mean BIG dogs, were burglarized in the night. The dogs were off duty, lazy things. Everyone was up on the third floor sleeping with the air conditioner going. Dogs did not even stir.

two. Our house was burglarized with yapping dogs inside. They were, however, very small yapping dogs so perhaps the burglars could tell from the sound that these dogs were not threats. They were three Frenchies and I know two of them would have barked their heads off because they were brainless yappers, but my good Feenchie was probably quiet.

My “good “ Feenchie was the one in the room with the burgler, so she could identify him but she never gave him up.

three. Neighbor. Urgerlized, dog st home?
    LOL to Feenchie keeping mum.

So maybe *some* dogs only deter *some* burglars. lol
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I need to know if the alarm or security system is not WiFi - what are you wanting it for? In other words, if it can't contact you and law enforcement / fire / ambulance services at the moment of an event - what is it for?

That being said, I have dogs and have been broken into twice at night while we were sleeping. We awoke and chased them away. Once I came home through the front door to see a burger exit out the back door and once I was home and a bad guy broke into my car and had my keys, with a house key. He chose to ring the bell. Instead of answering the door, I called 911. They saw him run away, but he escaped. The deputies had my locks changed.

In all of the above, I've always had at least one dog. Seemingly made no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Remember back when there used to be shows/info/etc. from burglars about the best protection from having your house robbed? I seem to recall that, back then, the #1 deterrent to burglars was a house with a non-wifi security system... a dog!

Yeah, if you plan on being home. This is for when we travel. Looking for non-wifi to be sure the electricity is on in winter and to monitor the exterior near the garage. Also, paying to have snow removal. Would be good to see if it actually is done. We have nosey neighbors so burglary is probably not gonna happen???

Non WIFI camera's, means they are wired. You are going to have to get up in the attic and run cable, possibly through multiple floors, etc.
    Coax is common, power over ethernet is a newer standard and cable.
    Then if you want internet access to them, you will have to make sure the recording device can do that, and there will be some configuring.

Quote Originally Posted by lmerullo View Post
    I need to know if the alarm or security system is not WiFi - what are you wanting it for? In other words, if it can't contact you and law enforcement / fire / ambulance services at the moment of an event - what is it for?

That being said, I have dogs and have been broken into twice at night while we were sleeping. We awoke and chased them away. Once I came home through the front door to see a burger exit out the back door and once I was home and a bad guy broke into my car and had my keys, with a house key. He chose to ring the bell. Instead of answering the door, I called 911. They saw him run away, but he escaped. The deputies had my locks changed.

In all of the above, I've always had at least one dog. Seemingly made no difference.
    we had a ridiculous blaring siren and light that we used for about 5 seconds many many years ago. Not hooked up to anyone. It was intended as deterrent.I hated it from the get-go, never used it, and finally just a few years ago DH removed it, but not without leaving a hole in the brick. Tragic.

I am not looking to pay for monthly internet access if we plan on being gone for months. We did have a person come in last time but found things missing when we got home. This was a person I knew and thought reliable. Sucks that you can't trust people!!

Okay, so having a dog may not be as great a deterrent as I thought. I have to admit, I'm really disappointed!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    Okay, so having a dog may not be as great a deterrent as I thought. I have to admit, I'm really disappointed!
    I’m sure dogs are indeed a deterrent. We don’t know how many perps passed by all of our houses described my post due to the dogs. My friend with five large dogs and a tiny yard was never burglaries because there is always a couple of large dogs out prowling around.

We use many deterrents such as 5e’ and 6’ fences with just one way in. Doors to house always locked. Club on the car parked in the street. Nothing inviting sitting around our property Other than a bit of statuary, most of which is chained up.

These are deterrents but the very best deterrent is me sitting in a chair facing the door with a shotgun across my lap.Since I won’t dedicate myself to that duty I have to make do with these other barriers to crime.

But boy do I look forward to moving to Hermann where I don’t have to be constantly vigilant. If I step out of the car and leave billfold in the car? It will definitely be there the next morning. If I left it there for a week it would definitely be there.

Based on what little information is provided, I'm assuming you'd just like to have one or more cameras covering specific areas of your home but you do not require the means or ability to check them remotely as you do not want to pay for internet access while travelling. If that is indeed the case the answer is to purchase one or more covert security cameras with SD cards for video storage. Along with that, I'd consider one or more outside security lights with motion detection to ensure you have the ability to actually see whatever may be recorded by the cameras.

I'm currently travelling for the summer and maintain several hybrid systems in my home that I've put together myself, but I have many years of experience with alarm, video and access control systems. My hybrid systems require a little effort to set up but enable me to check or be notified of real time incidents as they happen. I'm not sure that's what you're looking for but if so, let me know and I'd be happy to help you out.

If you just want to see what happened while you were gone, go the cheap and easy route with the security cameras which record on sd cards or perhaps even to a home server. You could set up something like that in less than an hour.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Based on what little information is provided, I'm assuming you'd just like to have one or more cameras covering specific areas of your home but you do not require the means or ability to check them remotely as you do not want to pay for internet access while travelling. If that is indeed the case the answer is to purchase one or more covert security cameras with SD cards for video storage. Along with that, I'd consider one or more outside security lights with motion detection to ensure you have the ability to actually see whatever may be recorded by the cameras.

I'm currently travelling for the summer and maintain several hybrid systems in my home that I've put together myself, but I have many years of experience with alarm, video and access control systems. My hybrid systems require a little effort to set up but enable me to check or be notified of real time incidents as they happen. I'm not sure that's what you're looking for but if so, let me know and I'd be happy to help you out.

If you just want to see what happened while you were gone, go the cheap and easy route with the security cameras which record on sd cards or perhaps even to a home server. You could set up something like that in less than an hour.
    Thanks Alan. The hybrid model sounds like what we are thinking of. I may contact you later in the year to discuss.

Thread Information