Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Bezos Beyond

I saw a sci-fi movie once where wealthy folks booked flights on a traveling spacecraft that was more like a cruise ship. Yoga classes, spa services, gourmet meals etc. And then the ship was not able to re-enter for some reason and was destined to circle infinitely with no possible return. Not a pleasant thought.

I agree with the t-shirt that says just because you canít imagine it doesnít mean it canít be done. Given time and the freedom to try, I see no reason why we canít exploit near space on an industrial scale and eventually construct habitats or even engineer solar systems to suit our needs and whims. The sooner the entrepreneurs get out there, the better.

People used to say man would never fly. I look forward to the day the carping classes complain about ďBig SpaceĒ.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I agree with the t-shirt that says just because you can’t imagine it doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Given time and the freedom to try, I see no reason why we can’t exploit near space on an industrial scale and eventually construct habitats or even engineer solar systems to suit our needs and whims. The sooner the entrepreneurs get out there, the better.

People used to say man would never fly. I look forward to the day the carping classes complain about “Big Space”.
    I guess I think of living in space as a prison. Why would anybody want to do that? Granted I suppose some people would want to, but I can’t imagine living that way or even wanting to live that way. To never be outside and feel the breeze on your face, to never walk on grass among your garden flowers? Let alone, to never experience the wider wonders of earth.
    Pugh.

Fortunately this is something I don’t have to worry about because it will never come in my lifetime. Sure it’s something that may come generations down the road.

I agree with the t-shirt that says just because you can’t imagine it doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Given time and the freedom to try, I see no reason why we can’t exploit near space on an industrial scale and eventually construct habitats or even engineer solar systems to suit our needs and whims. The sooner the entrepreneurs get out there, the better.

People used to say man would never fly. I look forward to the day the carping classes complain about “Big Space”.
    I would imagine that after many years... like millions?... humans would go from being Homo Sapien to Homo Universalis or something like that. Nature (at least on earth) adapts. We would probably throw off the shackles of space suits and adapt to whatever chemical soup we found ourselves in. Our appendages would shrink or grow depending upon our needs. We may look like some of the sci-fi renditions we've seen, or something completely different. And maybe this new version of human would retain the tribalism from their forebears on Earth and come back to Earth to dominate and recolonize.

But I'm with Iris.. As long as the Earth doesn't become a polluted, de-nuded, monoculture dung heap before I'm dead, I'll be happy.

Just for the record, LDAHL, I am all for vision. We need more of it. I have no issue with space exploration--and the fact that JFK in 1963 pronounced a moon landing before the end of the decade and it was accomplished is a real testament to achievement. It should be a lesson for anybody who wishes to "reach for the stars" to achieve any worthwhile goal.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I agree with the t-shirt that says just because you canít imagine it doesnít mean it canít be done. Given time and the freedom to try, I see no reason why we canít exploit near space on an industrial scale and eventually construct habitats or even engineer solar systems to suit our needs and whims. The sooner the entrepreneurs get out there, the better.

People used to say man would never fly. I look forward to the day the carping classes complain about ďBig SpaceĒ.
    I suppose youíre right. Some people are working overtime to destroy this planet. Why wouldnít they want to branch out and destroy the resort of the solar system too?

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I suppose youíre right. Some people are working overtime to destroy this planet. Why wouldnít they want to branch out and destroy the resort of the solar system too?
    The way I see it, you can squander a lifetime wringing your hands over the latest fashions in doomsday, or you can enjoy and applaud the advances being made with more gratitude than envy. You can blame your favorite industrial villain (while being part of their customer base), or you can look with some justifiable hope for the technological solutions. I think my way of thinking is both more realistic and more fun. And even if Iím wrong, Iíll be no worse off than the despairing camp.

or you can look with some justifiable hope for the technological solutions. I think my way of thinking is both more realistic and more fun. And even if I’m wrong, I’ll be no worse off than the despairing camp.
    Just for the record, I'm not interested in technological solutions.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I'm not interested in the whole thing, but I feel we are forced to pretend be interested in a Tik Tok influencer's dance moves, or Bezo's space flight, same same. why. And actually the dance moves are probably more interesting if I was forced to be interested in them.

And this isn't even a discussion of technological solutions. What real technological solutions have been proposed. None. I mean to discuss technological solutions we'd have to actually discuss some. All live in space now? That is not a real solution, it won't work.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Just for the record, I'm not interested in technological solutions.
    So, um, have you ever had antibiotics, a vaccination, safe drinking water, or food grown more than a few miles from your home?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    So, um, have you ever had antibiotics, a vaccination, safe drinking water, or food grown more than a few miles from your home?
    I'm not saying I don't believe in technological solutions for everything. I don't believe that all of our environmental problems can or should be solved with technology--making "impossible burgers" of natural things that we used to take for granted, like clean water, biodiversity and a working ecosystem.

I believe in appropriate use of technology, and I think that depending upon technology to replace things that no longer exist because we caused their demise would be a shame. Technological solutions gave us the Dust Bowl, monocultures, DDT, species extinction, and solar farms in place of trees.

I am grateful for technology that provides us with the ability for me to post this, and for the medical advances that reduce suffering, but I don't want a "Fake Plastic Trees" kind of world.

Thread Information