Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bezos Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I don't know what weird alienated souls we are supposed to be anyway, cheering private space travel, but not grieving the destruction of planet earth.
    +100. Thank you.

I sometimes think we became alienated when we left the proverbial Garden of Eden. In the present context, I don't blame Jeff Bezos for wanting to ditch planet Earth just because he has the money to do it and he sees that earth is like the Staten Island landfill with no end in sight. It's his money, and this culture has determined that if you have money, it's yours to do what you please with it. It's that culture that I question the values of... a culture not solely defined by the US, but which goes back to Martin Luther and the work ethic that spawned capitalism.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

As for debased souls: I don't know what weird alienated souls we are supposed to be anyway, cheering private space travel, but not grieving the destruction of planet earth. What bizarre automaton humans are we supposed to be anyway? And one can't not grieve the destruction of the natural world they have known these days. It's inescapable. Asking us not to feel anything about that but be excited about a private space flight to nowhere, no hourly wage is high enough for that type of emotional labor.
    I think excellence and achievement are worth celebrating in any circumstances, and that surrendering to despair is not. I think these flights to nowhere will lead to great things.

I also suspect that when the problems presented by climate change are eventually dealt with, it will done by guys like Bezos and Branson rather than through the interminable whining of people like Greta Thunberg or Elizabeth Warren.

Excellence and achievement are worth celebrating.

Those who wish to improve our circumstances and work to achieve those ends are, by definition, not "in despair." Were our Founding Fathers "in despair" when they shook off the shackles of Great Britain? Was MLK "in despair" while "whining" about the plight of the Blacks in America?

The problems presented by climate change will be solved one way or the other. The devil is in the details. Some think technology can solve our problems, and some think the problem IS that some think that technology can solve the problems. Those people are the ones that actually appreciate elephants with ivory tusks and sharks with fins, and soil that doesn't have to be created in a chemical lab.

ETA: this article from the NYTimes that says that Jefferson, Washington, and Hamilton "whined" about the future of America, too.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    The problems presented by climate change will be solved one way or the other. The devil is in the details.
    or they won't be dealt with until billions of people die first, or humans become extinct, that's also perfectly possible. If it was "dealt with by Bezo's" or "dealt with by Branson" (tm) (theoretically if they invested in such, I mean as far as I know no such thing is even going on and so I'm not sure why I should give them credit for something that isn't happening, so .... theoretically), it absolutely of course would not be solved by Bezo's or Banson but by their employees.

And I'd still bet on it being dealt with by China first in that case anyway because of the remarkable technical feats they are capable of and the motive to do so (but they might do so for more for their good than the collective good of the planet alas, and of course so would Bezo's). Cities of millions in China have entirely electrified bus fleets with 1000s of electric busses added weekly, hospitals are built for covid in days etc..
    Trees don't grow on money

or they won't be solved until billions of people die first,
    That's just one of the details.

Or the fact that being in space (weightlessness) is very hard on Earthling's bodies. They weren't designed to live there, ie invasive species.

The world needs diverse efforts from resourceful as well as having the resources to explore ways to move ahead on climate change and all the other challenges in our lives.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Very partial list of American whiners:

George Washington
    Benjamin Franklin
    John Adams
    Alexander Hamilton
    John Hancock
    Booker T. Washington
    Harriet Tubman
    Abraham Lincoln
    John Brown
    Susan B. Anthony
    Gloria Steinem
    Betty Friedan
    Eleanor Roosevelt
    Angela Davis
    Martin Luther King, Jr.
    James Baldwin
    Medgar Evars
    Langston Hughes
    Ralph Abernathy
    Audra Lorde
    Bobby Seale
    Soujourner Truth
    Ruth Bader Ginsburg
    Angela Davis
    Barbara Walters
    Maya Angelou
    Rosa Parks
    Lady Gaga
    Harvey Milk
    Marsha Johnson
    Ryan White
    Ellen Degeneres
    Gilbert Baker
    Rachel Carson
    Julia Butterfly Hill
    Wendell Berry
    Winona LaDuke
    Marjorie Stoneman Douglas
    John Muir
    Thoreau
    Peace Pilgrim
    Helen & Scott Nearing
    Edward Abbey
    W.E.B. DuBois
    Jacob Riis
    John Lewis

So many whiners! I wish they had shut up already!

If you have an annoying whiner you'd like to add to the list, please do! We have to be sure these whiners don't upset the status quo!

Yeah--the best of us have never been stodgily content with the status quo.

I've read many scathing takes on Bezos, his eye-poppingly expensive jaunt to "almost space," and his plans to take pollution elsewhere. I suppose this kind of thing is inevitable, but there's so much to do here...
    Last edited by JaneV2.0; 7-29-21 at 9:56am.

I find the idea of living in space for any length of time and with any sizable population to be preposterous.

Thread Information