Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bezos Beyond

Meanwhile bezos’ ex continues to donate money to causes she thinks matter.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Meanwhile bezos’ ex continues to donate money to causes she thinks matter.
    As does Bezos, in even larger amounts.

https://www.geekwire.com/2021/jeff-b...ists-u-s-2020/

Looks like Branson has won the billionaire space race.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Looks like Branson has won the billionaire space race.
    Boy, Bezos is NOT having a good day.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I see Elizabeth Warren is going after Bezos again, saying that if he can afford to launch himself into space he can afford to “pitch in more”. It really seems to stick in her craw that a guy can legally accumulate enough capital to create a company that can transport people into space.

Personally, I think that will ultimately benefit society more than any use Warren could come up with for Bezos’ money. But even if it doesn’t, I think what he does with it is his business and nobody else’s.

Most of us have contributed to Bezos' wealth by buying products and services from amazon which has gobbled up other companies like guppies. We are complicit. I canceled my account some time ago. Today, I was perusing the website since I hadn't looked at it in a while. Just about everything is now cheap Chinese crap that we continue to buy. Containers full of it (when the ships can make it here). I wish he would use his vast wealth here on Earth rather than for space conquest. Perhaps all the billionaires will be able to escape the mess left behind here.

Most of us have contributed to Bezos' wealth by buying products and services from amazon which has gobbled up other companies like guppies.
    They had a structural advantage for years and years of not having to pay sales taxes, as did some other online retailers I suppose. That might have something to do with it. Do people forget that already? That when brick and mortars had to charge sale taxes and Amazon didn't there was an obvious savings for the consumer there.

Today, I was perusing the website since I hadn't looked at in a while. Just about everything is now cheap Chinese crap that we continue to buy.
    Yes, a real decline in quality. It used to be possible to get stuff on Amazon that was better than in big box stores because the big box stores had all gone the cheap Chinese crap route. But now it's entirely on that bandwagon too of course. I mean maybe that is all that is produced now. And I suppose it might be "possible" to buy better stuff on Amazon, but it won't come up in a search of Amazon so you will never find it, so it's not realistically possible.

Perhaps all the billionaires will be able to escape the mess left behind here.
    they won't though, I don't know why that myth has such currency, but the science is just not that advanced.

The mining asteroids or whatever planet talk seems scarcely better. I don't know what resources asteroids or whatever may or may not have. But if they are brought to earth it is introducing material in earth that is not part of the biosphere (like carbon that was stored in the ground sure), so the question becomes can the biosphere process and clear it adequately, it is non-toxic in any amount etc.? The only thing that might in theory make sense is disposing nuclear waste off earth in an nuclear powered society. Maybe, I don't know, science fiction.
    Trees don't grow on money

I could find some issues with Bezos and how he spends his money, as well as a system that allows a single individual to have so much money. Historically speaking, I don't see that he is out of line with other mega wealthy with their yachts, railroads, golf courses, or such.

But my view of Amazon as a business filling customer demand is general positive. Box stores and mega chains ended the most of the Mom and Pop retailers before Amazon came around. It's pretty much buyer beware for cheap Chinese junk. They supply name brands and quality products as well, as opposed to say, Walmart. They've made life simpler for me to avoid driving around to find something a little rare, during the pandemic I've saved trips to stores, and I can imagine it's been a huge boon to people in more rural areas with limited local shopping.
    Last edited by Rogar; 7-27-21 at 7:05am.

I personally see these flights as achievements to be celebrated rather than sneered at by the envious or the people who think they have some sort of right to what others have earned. These guys built major businesses and then assembled the expertise to solve the engineering problems associated with commercial space flight. All on their own dime. If all a pinched and withered soul like Sen Warren gets from that is “we need to tax him more” and tear him down a bit, then I pity her.

People used to cheer for guys like Lindbergh. I wonder what happened to us?

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    People used to cheer for guys like Lindbergh. I wonder what happened to us?
    People cheer plenty for stuff they actually care about. People may hate big pharma, but they still cheer the vaccines (ok some little pharma and some big pharma to bring it to market and some massive government investment to make vaccine development economically viable at all, but people cheer stuff when it's actually making things better).

As for debased souls: I don't know what weird alienated souls we are supposed to be anyway, cheering private space travel, but not grieving the destruction of planet earth. What bizarre automaton humans are we supposed to be anyway? And one can't not grieve the destruction of the natural world they have known these days. It's inescapable. Asking us not to feel anything about that but be excited about a private space flight to nowhere, no hourly wage is high enough for that type of emotional labor.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information