Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bezos Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    To some degree... this would be me.

Seriously, though, I think there are planets out there viable for human life, just not sure the current occupants would want us to join them considering our track record on this planet.
    Unless they were interested in fresh slaves or a food source. We seem to spread mayhem wherever we go, so planetary brothers, beware.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Unless they were interested in fresh slaves or a food source. We seem to spread mayhem wherever we go, so planetary brothers, beware.
    Made me think of the Twilight Zone episode - "To Serve Man".
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

For those concerned about survival of the species in the possibility of an extinction event or conditions, going underground seems more practical than settling on a distant planet. I suspect there are plenty of deep abandoned mines that could be expanded into self sufficient small cities. It seemed to work in The Time Machine, although there were some unpleasant side effects.

I think for Bezos it's an ego thing more than anything practical.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    For those concerned about survival of the species in the possibility of an extinction event or conditions, going underground seems more practical than settling on a distant planet. I suspect there are plenty of deep abandoned mines that could be expanded into self sufficient small cities. It seemed to work in The Time Machine, although there were some unpleasant side effects.

"To serve man," indeed!

Going underground to survive has been a pretty popular alternative, if the number of existing cities is any clue.

I see Elizabeth Warren is claiming that “we are all paying” for Bezos’ trip because we don’t tax unrealized gains. She cited the information leaked by the IRS to Pro Publica, who published it along with a smugly self-righteous statement about the importance of violating privacy when some journalist decides it’s in the public good. I think her outrage allocation algorithm may be a bit unbalanced. I remember her talking about breaking up Amazon so they could no longer make snotty tweets about US senators.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    "To serve man," indeed!

Going underground to survive has been a pretty popular alternative, if the number of existing cities is any clue.

Not sure how going underground is going to help with a global cataclysm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post

We could provide the Eloi with a universal basic income until it was time to eat them.

I see Richard Branson is hoping to make an attempt on the eleventh.

It is just another version of boys with their toys, IMHO. Humungous yachts no longer suffice or satisfy the egos. Too many of the boys have them now.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    It is just another version of boys with their toys, IMHO. Humungous yachts no longer suffice or satisfy the egos. Too many of the boys have them now.
    Many great advances are driven by ego and the urge to be first. If these guys help along the commercial exploitation of the solar system, I wish them godspeed.

Thread Information