Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Bezos Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post

As for debased souls: I don't know what weird alienated souls we are supposed to be anyway, cheering private space travel, but not grieving the destruction of planet earth. What bizarre automaton humans are we supposed to be anyway? And one can't not grieve the destruction of the natural world they have known these days. It's inescapable. Asking us not to feel anything about that but be excited about a private space flight to nowhere, no hourly wage is high enough for that type of emotional labor.
    I think this is beautifully expressed. You may go too far when you say we are asked "not to feel anything about" the "destruction of the natural world," but you make me consider what effect it might have if we had something like a national or international day of mourning for the earth - a day other than Earth Day. A day dedicated to grieving. It might open our hearts and focus our minds on what we collectively need to do/stop doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Simone View Post
    I think this is beautifully expressed. You may go too far when you say we are asked "not to feel anything about" the "destruction of the natural world," but you make me consider what effect it might have if we had something like a national or international day of mourning for the earth - a day other than Earth Day. A day dedicated to grieving. It might open our hearts and focus our minds on what we collectively need to do/stop doing.
    We- human beings - have a hard time being compassionate to each other, let alone the planet and life there-on. I would LOVE if opening our hearts and focusing our minds on what we collectively need to do/stop doing would actually happen! But even now with COVID and the behaviors currently being displayed by some people, I really doubt that a day of mourning would result in much - and I'm an optimist!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    We- human beings - have a hard time being compassionate to each other, let alone the planet and life there-on. I would LOVE if opening our hearts and focusing our minds on what we collectively need to do/stop doing would actually happen! But even now with COVID and the behaviors currently being displayed by some people, I really doubt that a day of mourning would result in much - and I'm an optimist!
    I think you are right. While it may feel good to talk about it, the chances of some great global environmental awakening seem extremely remote to me. Iíll put my money on eccentric billionaires before that.

Thread Information